Jul 10, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have added a veteran presence to their coaching staff, bringing aboard former Chicago, Columbus, Anaheim and Vancouver assistant Newell Brown.
The Coyotes also announced they’ve parted ways with assistant John Anderson, the former Atlanta Thrashers head coach that served as Dave Tippett’s assistant in the desert since 2011.
Brown, 51, was dismissed from the Canucks in late May, along with fellow assistant Rick Bowness and head coach Alain Vigneault.
(Of note, all three have now found new jobs — Vigneault with the Rangers, Bowness with the Lightning and Brown with Phoenix)
Brown had been linked to a possible job with Vigneault in New York.
Primarily in charge of the power play, Brown initially achieved great success in Vancouver (the Canucks had the NHL’s best PP in 2010-11, at 24.3 percent).
But, last season, the unit struggled mightily and finished a disappointing 22nd (15.8 percent) in the league.
The former Washington Capital led the NHL in power-play assists last year, with 21, which should help a Coyotes team that finished 25th in the NHL (14.8 percent) with the man advantage last season.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)