Jul 10, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have added a veteran presence to their coaching staff, bringing aboard former Chicago, Columbus, Anaheim and Vancouver assistant Newell Brown.
The Coyotes also announced they’ve parted ways with assistant John Anderson, the former Atlanta Thrashers head coach that served as Dave Tippett’s assistant in the desert since 2011.
Brown, 51, was dismissed from the Canucks in late May, along with fellow assistant Rick Bowness and head coach Alain Vigneault.
(Of note, all three have now found new jobs — Vigneault with the Rangers, Bowness with the Lightning and Brown with Phoenix)
Brown had been linked to a possible job with Vigneault in New York.
Primarily in charge of the power play, Brown initially achieved great success in Vancouver (the Canucks had the NHL’s best PP in 2010-11, at 24.3 percent).
But, last season, the unit struggled mightily and finished a disappointing 22nd (15.8 percent) in the league.
The former Washington Capital led the NHL in power-play assists last year, with 21, which should help a Coyotes team that finished 25th in the NHL (14.8 percent) with the man advantage last season.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)