Jul 10, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have added a veteran presence to their coaching staff, bringing aboard former Chicago, Columbus, Anaheim and Vancouver assistant Newell Brown.
The Coyotes also announced they’ve parted ways with assistant John Anderson, the former Atlanta Thrashers head coach that served as Dave Tippett’s assistant in the desert since 2011.
Brown, 51, was dismissed from the Canucks in late May, along with fellow assistant Rick Bowness and head coach Alain Vigneault.
(Of note, all three have now found new jobs — Vigneault with the Rangers, Bowness with the Lightning and Brown with Phoenix)
Brown had been linked to a possible job with Vigneault in New York.
Primarily in charge of the power play, Brown initially achieved great success in Vancouver (the Canucks had the NHL’s best PP in 2010-11, at 24.3 percent).
But, last season, the unit struggled mightily and finished a disappointing 22nd (15.8 percent) in the league.
The former Washington Capital led the NHL in power-play assists last year, with 21, which should help a Coyotes team that finished 25th in the NHL (14.8 percent) with the man advantage last season.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)