Jul 10, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
When a 35-year-old gets a four-year contract in the NHL, there are going to be questions about his ability to stay healthy for the duration of the deal.
Such was the case when defenseman Mark Streit signed with the Philadelphia Flyers last month.
Streit, however, doesn’t see his age as an issue. In his opinion, it’s not the years that count; it’s the mileage. And after spending most of his 20s playing in Switzerland, he’s only racked up 491 games on his NHL odometer.
“There is a big difference when you are 35 and have played 15 years [versus] playing eight,” Streit said Tuesday, per CSN Philly.
“The wear and tear is big in the NHL. I feel great, feel healthy,” Streit said. “I had one unfortunate season with Islanders when I was hurt the whole year, but other than that, I played almost all games every year. I’m in good shape. I want to play a long time. I can help this team.”
That “one unfortunate season” was 2010-11, when he missed all 82 games with a shoulder injury.
If he can avoid further misfortune in Philly, he’ll have an opportunity to put up big numbers on a Flyers team with plenty of offensive firepower.
“I’m a puck-moving defenseman,” Streit said. “It goes hand-in-hand. You want to feed the forwards with good passes. You want to follow up the play and join the rush. There is so much skill here up front, such big potential.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)