Jul 10, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
When a 35-year-old gets a four-year contract in the NHL, there are going to be questions about his ability to stay healthy for the duration of the deal.
Such was the case when defenseman Mark Streit signed with the Philadelphia Flyers last month.
Streit, however, doesn’t see his age as an issue. In his opinion, it’s not the years that count; it’s the mileage. And after spending most of his 20s playing in Switzerland, he’s only racked up 491 games on his NHL odometer.
“There is a big difference when you are 35 and have played 15 years [versus] playing eight,” Streit said Tuesday, per CSN Philly.
“The wear and tear is big in the NHL. I feel great, feel healthy,” Streit said. “I had one unfortunate season with Islanders when I was hurt the whole year, but other than that, I played almost all games every year. I’m in good shape. I want to play a long time. I can help this team.”
That “one unfortunate season” was 2010-11, when he missed all 82 games with a shoulder injury.
If he can avoid further misfortune in Philly, he’ll have an opportunity to put up big numbers on a Flyers team with plenty of offensive firepower.
“I’m a puck-moving defenseman,” Streit said. “It goes hand-in-hand. You want to feed the forwards with good passes. You want to follow up the play and join the rush. There is so much skill here up front, such big potential.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)