Jul 10, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators have re-upped with defenseman Mark Borowiecki on a two-year deal, the club announced on Wednesday.
Borowiecki, 23, will be on a two-way deal for the first year, and a one-way for the second.
Ottawa’s fifth-round pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Borowiecki debuted for the sens in 2011-12 and appeared in six games for the club last year, averaging 13 minutes per game.
The first-ever Ottawa native to be drafted by the Sens, Borowiecki should have a decent shot of cracking the roster in 2013-14. The Sens currently have just five defensemen under contract (Erik Karlsson, Chris Phillips, Marc Methot, Joe Corvo and Eric Gryba) with RFAs Jared Cowen and Patrick Wiercoich still needing new deals.
It’s also likely 2012 first-round pick Cody Ceci will get a look in camp.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)