Jul 10, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Sounds like Bobby Ryan will be getting top-line minutes in Ottawa this season.
In speaking with the Ottawa Sun, Sens GM Bryan Murray said Ryan would likely play in a top three role next season, meaning he’d be with Jason Spezza and Milan Michalek, who occasionally played on the aforementioned “SAM” line along with former team captain Daniel Alfredsson, now in Detroit.
“I think he likes to play the left side more than the right side,” Murray said of Ryan. “I know Milan can play the right side pretty well too.
“I would think he’s probably in our Top 3, so therefore probably with Spezz.”
There was some thought Ottawa would keep Spezza and Michalek with Colin Greening — the trio performed well together last season — and put Ryan on a line centered by Kyle Turris, along with newly-acquired LW/RW Clarke MacArthur.
But loading up the No. 1 line appears to be the way Ottawa will go.
In other news, it doesn’t sound as though Murray will be looking to make any more trades in the near future.
“We’ve got bodies, and if we have to do something, we’ll have to go try and go do it,” said Murray. “But I don’t want to give up more kids right now if I can help it.”
Related to Murray’s goal of keeping the “kids” — who are playing on cheaper, entry-level deals — embattled Sens owner Eugene Melynk got more bad financial news on Tuesday, as his plan to build a casino was scuttled by the city.
Melnyk had hoped the casino project would offset the “substantial losses” of the hockey club.
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 49
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 34
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)