Jul 10, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Shortly after locking up restricted free agent defenseman Ryan McDonagh, the Rangers have come to terms with another key RFA — Carl Hagelin.
On Wednesday, the club announced it had signed Hagelin to a two-year, $4.5 million deal with an average annual cap hit of $2.25 million.
According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, the deal will pay $2.1 million in salary next year, and $2.4 in year two. Hagelin did have arbitration rights and was expected to file today.
The new deal will keep the Swedish speedster in New York until 2015, at which time he’ll again be a restricted free agent.
Hagelin, 24, had a solid sophomore campaign in 2013, scoring 24 points in 48 games while averaging a career-high 17:18 TOI.
This came on the heels of an equally impressive rookie campaign, in which he scored 14 goals and 38 points in 64 games, earning a spot at the 2013 NHL All-Star rookie showcase and winning the fastest skater competition.
The biggest development for Hagelin, though, might’ve come during the postseason. After a tough 2011-12 playoff where he only scored three points (zero goals) in 17 games, the former University of Michigan standout scored 3G-3A-6PTS in 12 games this year, and upped his time on ice to 18:06 per contest.
(Of course, there was the whole “stinks on the power play” fiasco.)
With the Hagelin and McDonagh signings complete, the Rangers will now turn their attentions to the remaining RFAs — most notably, center Derek Stepan — and will presumably keep working away at negotiations on an extension for goalie Henrik Lundqvist, set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of next year.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)