Jul 10, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Shortly after locking up restricted free agent defenseman Ryan McDonagh, the Rangers have come to terms with another key RFA — Carl Hagelin.
On Wednesday, the club announced it had signed Hagelin to a two-year, $4.5 million deal with an average annual cap hit of $2.25 million.
According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, the deal will pay $2.1 million in salary next year, and $2.4 in year two. Hagelin did have arbitration rights and was expected to file today.
The new deal will keep the Swedish speedster in New York until 2015, at which time he’ll again be a restricted free agent.
Hagelin, 24, had a solid sophomore campaign in 2013, scoring 24 points in 48 games while averaging a career-high 17:18 TOI.
This came on the heels of an equally impressive rookie campaign, in which he scored 14 goals and 38 points in 64 games, earning a spot at the 2013 NHL All-Star rookie showcase and winning the fastest skater competition.
The biggest development for Hagelin, though, might’ve come during the postseason. After a tough 2011-12 playoff where he only scored three points (zero goals) in 17 games, the former University of Michigan standout scored 3G-3A-6PTS in 12 games this year, and upped his time on ice to 18:06 per contest.
(Of course, there was the whole “stinks on the power play” fiasco.)
With the Hagelin and McDonagh signings complete, the Rangers will now turn their attentions to the remaining RFAs — most notably, center Derek Stepan — and will presumably keep working away at negotiations on an extension for goalie Henrik Lundqvist, set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of next year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
He emerged as the team’s No. 2 center last season.
Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
That adds another layer to the Flames’ goaltending competition.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
He has played in 132 NHL games.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)