Jul 10, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Shortly after locking up restricted free agent defenseman Ryan McDonagh, the Rangers have come to terms with another key RFA — Carl Hagelin.
On Wednesday, the club announced it had signed Hagelin to a two-year, $4.5 million deal with an average annual cap hit of $2.25 million.
According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, the deal will pay $2.1 million in salary next year, and $2.4 in year two. Hagelin did have arbitration rights and was expected to file today.
The new deal will keep the Swedish speedster in New York until 2015, at which time he’ll again be a restricted free agent.
Hagelin, 24, had a solid sophomore campaign in 2013, scoring 24 points in 48 games while averaging a career-high 17:18 TOI.
This came on the heels of an equally impressive rookie campaign, in which he scored 14 goals and 38 points in 64 games, earning a spot at the 2013 NHL All-Star rookie showcase and winning the fastest skater competition.
The biggest development for Hagelin, though, might’ve come during the postseason. After a tough 2011-12 playoff where he only scored three points (zero goals) in 17 games, the former University of Michigan standout scored 3G-3A-6PTS in 12 games this year, and upped his time on ice to 18:06 per contest.
(Of course, there was the whole “stinks on the power play” fiasco.)
With the Hagelin and McDonagh signings complete, the Rangers will now turn their attentions to the remaining RFAs — most notably, center Derek Stepan — and will presumably keep working away at negotiations on an extension for goalie Henrik Lundqvist, set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of next year.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)