Jul 10, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
Nashville has locked up Seth Jones — its first-round pick from the 2013 NHL Entry Draft — to an entry-level deal: three years, $9.675 million.
“Seth is a special prospect and we were fortunate to be in position to select him,” Preds GM David Poile said in a statement. “As a player, he brings so much to our organization, from size you can’t teach to a skill set that every team hopes to add and a personality and maturity that will allow him to grow and develop with our veteran core and other young players.
“He has excelled at the junior and international levels and we anticipate him enjoying great success at the NHL level.”
Jones will make a base salary of $925,000 over the course of the entry-level deal but, with the maximum rookie contract signing bonuses, will carry an average annual salary cap number of $3.225 million.
The deal is reasonably close to what the first overall selection at the ’13 Draft — Nathan MacKinnon — received from the Colorado Avalanche.
MacKinnon’s deal is a three-year, $11.325 million entry-level contract with the same base salary ($925,000) but additional player and signing bonuses.
Jones is expected to compete for a spot on the Preds blueline next season, and is currently participating in Nashville’s summer prospect camp.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)