Jul 10, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
Nashville has locked up Seth Jones — its first-round pick from the 2013 NHL Entry Draft — to an entry-level deal: three years, $9.675 million.
“Seth is a special prospect and we were fortunate to be in position to select him,” Preds GM David Poile said in a statement. “As a player, he brings so much to our organization, from size you can’t teach to a skill set that every team hopes to add and a personality and maturity that will allow him to grow and develop with our veteran core and other young players.
“He has excelled at the junior and international levels and we anticipate him enjoying great success at the NHL level.”
Jones will make a base salary of $925,000 over the course of the entry-level deal but, with the maximum rookie contract signing bonuses, will carry an average annual salary cap number of $3.225 million.
The deal is reasonably close to what the first overall selection at the ’13 Draft — Nathan MacKinnon — received from the Colorado Avalanche.
MacKinnon’s deal is a three-year, $11.325 million entry-level contract with the same base salary ($925,000) but additional player and signing bonuses.
Jones is expected to compete for a spot on the Preds blueline next season, and is currently participating in Nashville’s summer prospect camp.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)