Jul 10, 2013, 1:52 PM EST
Nashville has locked up Seth Jones — its first-round pick from the 2013 NHL Entry Draft — to an entry-level deal: three years, $9.675 million.
“Seth is a special prospect and we were fortunate to be in position to select him,” Preds GM David Poile said in a statement. “As a player, he brings so much to our organization, from size you can’t teach to a skill set that every team hopes to add and a personality and maturity that will allow him to grow and develop with our veteran core and other young players.
“He has excelled at the junior and international levels and we anticipate him enjoying great success at the NHL level.”
Jones will make a base salary of $925,000 over the course of the entry-level deal but, with the maximum rookie contract signing bonuses, will carry an average annual salary cap number of $3.225 million.
The deal is reasonably close to what the first overall selection at the ’13 Draft — Nathan MacKinnon — received from the Colorado Avalanche.
MacKinnon’s deal is a three-year, $11.325 million entry-level contract with the same base salary ($925,000) but additional player and signing bonuses.
Jones is expected to compete for a spot on the Preds blueline next season, and is currently participating in Nashville’s summer prospect camp.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)