Jul 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
To many, it seemed clear that the St. Louis Blues sent David Perron to the Edmonton Oilers for Magnus Paajarvi and a second-round pick to clear cap space. General managers rarely admit so much, but even with that in mind, both executives provided insight that was more interesting than the usual PR spiel on Wednesday.
For one thing, Blues GM Doug Armstrong gave some interesting reasons why this might not be a mere salary dump.
Armstrong indicated that St. Louis possesses multiple players with Perron’s skills, while Paajarvi combination of size and speed makes him different. He said that the 22-year-old’s game is “evolving” and noted his belief that “size matters” in the NHL.
“Our team is built on balance, and we think he can come in here and provide an element we don’t have right now,” Armstrong said.
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish could have pointed to one of Perron’s highlight reel goals to explain the move, but he instead dropped a word many wouldn’t have expected: analytics, as Inside Sports’ Dan Tencer reports.
“It’ll be a good test for our analytics guys. They have him with some of the game’s elite,” MacTavish said. “He’s right up there with controlling the play and shots for and against differential.”
As Armstrong noted during his press conference, it’s possible this trade could be both sides. They’re talking the part, at least.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 25
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)