Jul 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
To many, it seemed clear that the St. Louis Blues sent David Perron to the Edmonton Oilers for Magnus Paajarvi and a second-round pick to clear cap space. General managers rarely admit so much, but even with that in mind, both executives provided insight that was more interesting than the usual PR spiel on Wednesday.
For one thing, Blues GM Doug Armstrong gave some interesting reasons why this might not be a mere salary dump.
Armstrong indicated that St. Louis possesses multiple players with Perron’s skills, while Paajarvi combination of size and speed makes him different. He said that the 22-year-old’s game is “evolving” and noted his belief that “size matters” in the NHL.
“Our team is built on balance, and we think he can come in here and provide an element we don’t have right now,” Armstrong said.
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish could have pointed to one of Perron’s highlight reel goals to explain the move, but he instead dropped a word many wouldn’t have expected: analytics, as Inside Sports’ Dan Tencer reports.
“It’ll be a good test for our analytics guys. They have him with some of the game’s elite,” MacTavish said. “He’s right up there with controlling the play and shots for and against differential.”
As Armstrong noted during his press conference, it’s possible this trade could be both sides. They’re talking the part, at least.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)