Jul 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
To many, it seemed clear that the St. Louis Blues sent David Perron to the Edmonton Oilers for Magnus Paajarvi and a second-round pick to clear cap space. General managers rarely admit so much, but even with that in mind, both executives provided insight that was more interesting than the usual PR spiel on Wednesday.
For one thing, Blues GM Doug Armstrong gave some interesting reasons why this might not be a mere salary dump.
Armstrong indicated that St. Louis possesses multiple players with Perron’s skills, while Paajarvi combination of size and speed makes him different. He said that the 22-year-old’s game is “evolving” and noted his belief that “size matters” in the NHL.
“Our team is built on balance, and we think he can come in here and provide an element we don’t have right now,” Armstrong said.
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish could have pointed to one of Perron’s highlight reel goals to explain the move, but he instead dropped a word many wouldn’t have expected: analytics, as Inside Sports’ Dan Tencer reports.
“It’ll be a good test for our analytics guys. They have him with some of the game’s elite,” MacTavish said. “He’s right up there with controlling the play and shots for and against differential.”
As Armstrong noted during his press conference, it’s possible this trade could be both sides. They’re talking the part, at least.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)