Jul 10, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Defenseman Joe Corvo‘s last stint with the Ottawa Senators lasted less than two full seasons and involved him requesting a trade because he wanted more ice time. He put up good offensive numbers, but he was criticized defensively to the point where he got the nickname “Uh-Oh Corvo.”
So it might surprise some to see the 36-year-old agree to a one-year, $900,000 contract with the Senators for the 2013-14 campaign, but he feels things will be different this time.
“I’m more comfortable with it now, I faced a lot of scrutiny in Boston (in 2011-12),” Corvo said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “You’ve just got to understand you can’t be on your phone all the time, looking at blogs and reading into anything, which I don’t even do anymore.”
Corvo added that he’s much more open minded now when it comes to what his role will be, which is good because he’s likely to serve on the Senators’ third pairing. He’ll also get some playing time with the man advantage.
When it comes to his defensive game though, he feels that some of the criticisms are “unfair.”
“I think so, but when you’ve played your whole career as not really a physical-type D or a shutdown D, people are going to criticize you,” he said. “It doesn’t matter. You’ve just go to have more upside than downside.
“Once that flips over on you, then you’re done. Probably.”
He had six goals and 17 points in 40 games last season with the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)