Jul 10, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Defenseman Joe Corvo‘s last stint with the Ottawa Senators lasted less than two full seasons and involved him requesting a trade because he wanted more ice time. He put up good offensive numbers, but he was criticized defensively to the point where he got the nickname “Uh-Oh Corvo.”
So it might surprise some to see the 36-year-old agree to a one-year, $900,000 contract with the Senators for the 2013-14 campaign, but he feels things will be different this time.
“I’m more comfortable with it now, I faced a lot of scrutiny in Boston (in 2011-12),” Corvo said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “You’ve just got to understand you can’t be on your phone all the time, looking at blogs and reading into anything, which I don’t even do anymore.”
Corvo added that he’s much more open minded now when it comes to what his role will be, which is good because he’s likely to serve on the Senators’ third pairing. He’ll also get some playing time with the man advantage.
When it comes to his defensive game though, he feels that some of the criticisms are “unfair.”
“I think so, but when you’ve played your whole career as not really a physical-type D or a shutdown D, people are going to criticize you,” he said. “It doesn’t matter. You’ve just go to have more upside than downside.
“Once that flips over on you, then you’re done. Probably.”
He had six goals and 17 points in 40 games last season with the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22