Jul 10, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
Defenseman Joe Corvo‘s last stint with the Ottawa Senators lasted less than two full seasons and involved him requesting a trade because he wanted more ice time. He put up good offensive numbers, but he was criticized defensively to the point where he got the nickname “Uh-Oh Corvo.”
So it might surprise some to see the 36-year-old agree to a one-year, $900,000 contract with the Senators for the 2013-14 campaign, but he feels things will be different this time.
“I’m more comfortable with it now, I faced a lot of scrutiny in Boston (in 2011-12),” Corvo said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “You’ve just got to understand you can’t be on your phone all the time, looking at blogs and reading into anything, which I don’t even do anymore.”
Corvo added that he’s much more open minded now when it comes to what his role will be, which is good because he’s likely to serve on the Senators’ third pairing. He’ll also get some playing time with the man advantage.
When it comes to his defensive game though, he feels that some of the criticisms are “unfair.”
“I think so, but when you’ve played your whole career as not really a physical-type D or a shutdown D, people are going to criticize you,” he said. “It doesn’t matter. You’ve just go to have more upside than downside.
“Once that flips over on you, then you’re done. Probably.”
He had six goals and 17 points in 40 games last season with the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 20
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5