Jul 10, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Defenseman Joe Corvo‘s last stint with the Ottawa Senators lasted less than two full seasons and involved him requesting a trade because he wanted more ice time. He put up good offensive numbers, but he was criticized defensively to the point where he got the nickname “Uh-Oh Corvo.”
So it might surprise some to see the 36-year-old agree to a one-year, $900,000 contract with the Senators for the 2013-14 campaign, but he feels things will be different this time.
“I’m more comfortable with it now, I faced a lot of scrutiny in Boston (in 2011-12),” Corvo said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “You’ve just got to understand you can’t be on your phone all the time, looking at blogs and reading into anything, which I don’t even do anymore.”
Corvo added that he’s much more open minded now when it comes to what his role will be, which is good because he’s likely to serve on the Senators’ third pairing. He’ll also get some playing time with the man advantage.
When it comes to his defensive game though, he feels that some of the criticisms are “unfair.”
“I think so, but when you’ve played your whole career as not really a physical-type D or a shutdown D, people are going to criticize you,” he said. “It doesn’t matter. You’ve just go to have more upside than downside.
“Once that flips over on you, then you’re done. Probably.”
He had six goals and 17 points in 40 games last season with the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 73
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50