Jul 10, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
Defenseman Joe Corvo‘s last stint with the Ottawa Senators lasted less than two full seasons and involved him requesting a trade because he wanted more ice time. He put up good offensive numbers, but he was criticized defensively to the point where he got the nickname “Uh-Oh Corvo.”
So it might surprise some to see the 36-year-old agree to a one-year, $900,000 contract with the Senators for the 2013-14 campaign, but he feels things will be different this time.
“I’m more comfortable with it now, I faced a lot of scrutiny in Boston (in 2011-12),” Corvo said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “You’ve just got to understand you can’t be on your phone all the time, looking at blogs and reading into anything, which I don’t even do anymore.”
Corvo added that he’s much more open minded now when it comes to what his role will be, which is good because he’s likely to serve on the Senators’ third pairing. He’ll also get some playing time with the man advantage.
When it comes to his defensive game though, he feels that some of the criticisms are “unfair.”
“I think so, but when you’ve played your whole career as not really a physical-type D or a shutdown D, people are going to criticize you,” he said. “It doesn’t matter. You’ve just go to have more upside than downside.
“Once that flips over on you, then you’re done. Probably.”
He had six goals and 17 points in 40 games last season with the Carolina Hurricanes.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)