Jul 10, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have re-upped with one of their key restricted free agents, agreeing to terms with defenseman Karl Alzner on a four-year, $11.2 million deal.
“We are very pleased to sign Karl Alzner to a contract extension,” Caps GM George McPhee said in a statement. “Karl is just entering his prime and has been a model of consistency for our organization since he entered the League.
“He plays tough and valuable minutes against some of the NHL’s top players every game.”
Alzner, 24, will carry an average annual cap hit of $2.8 million until the 2016-17 season.
The former WHL Calgary standout set a career-high for average time on ice per game (20:57) last season, upping it to 22:18 in the playoffs.
Washington’s No. 5 overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Alzner finished second on the team in blocked shots last year (85), fourth among all defensemen in hits (45).
He was in the final year of a two-year, $2.57 million deal.
Earlier this summer, McPhee shot down any notion of possibly losing Alzner to an RFA offer sheet, saying Washington would match anything given to Alzner or Washington’s other key RFA — forward Marcus Johansson.
The deal is a solid one from McPhee, who now has his two youngest blueline talents — Alzner and 23-year-old John Carlson — locked up for a combined $6.76 million per season until 2017.
Mar 12, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
“We have numbers, but we’re not ready to give them out.”
Mar 12, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Still unknown whether he’ll be able to play hockey again.
Mar 12, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
During the first intermission of the Canadiens-Bruins game.
Mar 12, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Yet another boarding suspension in the NHL.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 12, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Just one blogger’s opinion.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Led R.P.I in scoring this season.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Austrian speedster hurt in Monday’s comeback win over Vancouver.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Montreal’s beaten Boston five straight times.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
The full interview airs on Costas Tonight this Thursday, Mar. 13 at 12:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
i.e., do Pierre Karl Peladeau’s political aspirations hurt the chances of the Nordiques being reborn in Quebec City?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
“I am not going to comment on specific things about John. It is unfair to him.”
Mar 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
How has Colorado done it?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Now the man in charge of Southampton F.C.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
The feat comes during one of the toughest stretches of his career, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
He was injured against Florida on Sunday.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Habs have five straight wins against Boston.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 6
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 8
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 16
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)