Jul 10, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
Long rumored, the NHL announced today that the Vancouver Canucks will host the Ottawa Senators in the Tim Hortons Heritage Classic at BC Place on Sunday, March 2, 2014.
The game will be one of six NHL contests played at football/baseball stadiums next season.
BC Place, which hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics, seats around 55,000 for football and is home to the CFL’s BC Lions and MLS’s Vancouver Whitecaps.
Following the Olympics, a retractable roof was added to the facility as part of a major renovation. (Which is good in this case, because if you haven’t heard, it rains a lot in Vancouver.)
“With one of the world’s great facilities as the setting, and one of the world’s most scenic cities as the backdrop, the 2014 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic at BC Place in Vancouver will honor hockey’s Canadian heritage,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a release.
The Heritage Classic has been held twice, first in Edmonton (2003), then in Calgary (2011).
The 2014 edition will be shown on NBC Sports Network in the United States and CBC in Canada.
Image via bcplacestadium.com
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 0
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 11
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 15
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)