Jul 10, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
Long rumored, the NHL announced today that the Vancouver Canucks will host the Ottawa Senators in the Tim Hortons Heritage Classic at BC Place on Sunday, March 2, 2014.
The game will be one of six NHL contests played at football/baseball stadiums next season.
BC Place, which hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics, seats around 55,000 for football and is home to the CFL’s BC Lions and MLS’s Vancouver Whitecaps.
Following the Olympics, a retractable roof was added to the facility as part of a major renovation. (Which is good in this case, because if you haven’t heard, it rains a lot in Vancouver.)
“With one of the world’s great facilities as the setting, and one of the world’s most scenic cities as the backdrop, the 2014 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic at BC Place in Vancouver will honor hockey’s Canadian heritage,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a release.
The Heritage Classic has been held twice, first in Edmonton (2003), then in Calgary (2011).
The 2014 edition will be shown on NBC Sports Network in the United States and CBC in Canada.
Image via bcplacestadium.com
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)