Jul 10, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
Long rumored, the NHL announced today that the Vancouver Canucks will host the Ottawa Senators in the Tim Hortons Heritage Classic at BC Place on Sunday, March 2, 2014.
The game will be one of six NHL contests played at football/baseball stadiums next season.
BC Place, which hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics, seats around 55,000 for football and is home to the CFL’s BC Lions and MLS’s Vancouver Whitecaps.
Following the Olympics, a retractable roof was added to the facility as part of a major renovation. (Which is good in this case, because if you haven’t heard, it rains a lot in Vancouver.)
“With one of the world’s great facilities as the setting, and one of the world’s most scenic cities as the backdrop, the 2014 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic at BC Place in Vancouver will honor hockey’s Canadian heritage,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a release.
The Heritage Classic has been held twice, first in Edmonton (2003), then in Calgary (2011).
The 2014 edition will be shown on NBC Sports Network in the United States and CBC in Canada.
Image via bcplacestadium.com
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)