Jul 10, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
Alexander Burmistrov played in 194 NHL games with the Atlanta Thrashers and Winnipeg Jets after being taken with the eighth overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. However, once his entry-level contract expired, Burmistrov made the decision to sign with Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL.
Losing a promising 21-year-old forward is obviously a tough blow for the Jets, but perhaps it’s not a surprising one. He was reportedly unhappy in Winnipeg and wanted to be traded due in part to his clashes with head coach Claude Noel.
Any doubt on the subject was put to rest when Burmistrov’s agent Yuri Nikolaev was asked if his relationship with Noel was a motivating factor in his clients decision to leave the Jets.
“That was one of the reasons why he left,” Nikolaev confirmed through translator Ruslan Kim, according to the Winnipeg Sun.
To be clear, that wasn’t the only factor. Burmistrov will get a chance to play for his hometown team and his salary “is more than $2 million USD.”
He’s also open to returning to the NHL eventually, but the Jets can control his North American rights until he’s 27 if they want.
It certainly sounds like they’ll go that route, given that they said in a statement that Burmistrov “remains a very talented player within the Jets organization and we will continue to monitor his progress and development going forward.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)