Jul 9, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
Scott Niedermayer did his best to act surprised that he was named to the Hockey Hall of Fame on Tuesday, as NHL.com notes.
“It’s pretty surreal to get this call to be told you’re being inducted into the Hall of Fame,” Niedermayer said. “It’ll probably take a long time for it to sink in. It’s a pretty impressive group and it’s a real honor to be part of such a great group.”
Most expected him to be a first ballot Hall of Famer, though.
Scott Stevens told the New Jersey Devils Web site that it was instantly clear that he could become an impact player.
“I guess right away when you saw him. In camp, he was very young, but you could see the talent, you could see how great a skater he was,” Stevens said. “You pretty much knew from Day One when he arrived at camp that he was going to be a special player and had some special gifts and talents that a lot of players just would never have, obviously, his skating being the most noticeable. He’s probably one of the best skaters I’ve ever seen play the game.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)