Jul 9, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
Scott Niedermayer did his best to act surprised that he was named to the Hockey Hall of Fame on Tuesday, as NHL.com notes.
“It’s pretty surreal to get this call to be told you’re being inducted into the Hall of Fame,” Niedermayer said. “It’ll probably take a long time for it to sink in. It’s a pretty impressive group and it’s a real honor to be part of such a great group.”
Most expected him to be a first ballot Hall of Famer, though.
Scott Stevens told the New Jersey Devils Web site that it was instantly clear that he could become an impact player.
“I guess right away when you saw him. In camp, he was very young, but you could see the talent, you could see how great a skater he was,” Stevens said. “You pretty much knew from Day One when he arrived at camp that he was going to be a special player and had some special gifts and talents that a lot of players just would never have, obviously, his skating being the most noticeable. He’s probably one of the best skaters I’ve ever seen play the game.”
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 0
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)