Jul 9, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Viktor Stalberg got to lift the Stanley Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks, but his role was limited and that only got worse during the 2013 playoffs. After four seasons in the NHL, his career-high in terms of playing time per game was 14:37 minutes during his rookie season with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
That’s something that’s likely to change next season after the Nashville Predators made a big commitment to him by agreeing to a four-year, $12 million deal.
“I wanted to come to a team where I could have a bigger opportunity and play more,” Stalberg said, according to CSN Chicago. “In Chicago, we have superstars and it’s tough to get the opportunity in front of those guys.
“They’re going to get the big minutes. I don’t think I’ve reached my potential (yet), and that’s why I chose Nashville.”
More specifically, the 27-year-old forward is hoping to earn a top-six spot with the club. Last season Nashville finished last in the NHL with 111 goals scored. That’s in part due to their defense-first approach, but Stalberg thinks that they went out and got him because they recognized that they needed a boost offensively.
“That’s why I decided to go there,” Stalberg said. “They’ve got a good thing going.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)