Jul 9, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Viktor Stalberg got to lift the Stanley Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks, but his role was limited and that only got worse during the 2013 playoffs. After four seasons in the NHL, his career-high in terms of playing time per game was 14:37 minutes during his rookie season with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
That’s something that’s likely to change next season after the Nashville Predators made a big commitment to him by agreeing to a four-year, $12 million deal.
“I wanted to come to a team where I could have a bigger opportunity and play more,” Stalberg said, according to CSN Chicago. “In Chicago, we have superstars and it’s tough to get the opportunity in front of those guys.
“They’re going to get the big minutes. I don’t think I’ve reached my potential (yet), and that’s why I chose Nashville.”
More specifically, the 27-year-old forward is hoping to earn a top-six spot with the club. Last season Nashville finished last in the NHL with 111 goals scored. That’s in part due to their defense-first approach, but Stalberg thinks that they went out and got him because they recognized that they needed a boost offensively.
“That’s why I decided to go there,” Stalberg said. “They’ve got a good thing going.”
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)