Jul 9, 2013, 5:29 PM EST
“I go into every season optimistic and excited,” Snider said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “But this is very unique, to have three outstanding players on the podium at the same time that we recently signed. You don’t add three terrific players like that without getting better.
“We’re better, no question about it.”
In Lecavalier and Streit, the Flyers got some veteran leadership — both were captains last year in Tampa Bay and on Long Island, respectively — and depth at both center and defense.
“Adding Vinny,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren explained, “I said this, we have Claude [Giroux], we have a couple young centers, we have Max [Talbot] that can play center, and Matt Read.
“Depth at center is huge.”
On defense, Streit is one of the 10 (yes, 10) Philadelphia blueliners signed on for next year, though one of those — Chris Pronger — will be put on long-term injured reserve.
That leaves the other nine — Streit, Kimmo Timonen, Graydon Coburn, Andrej Meszaros, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Erik Gustafsson, Bruno Gervais and Marc-Andre Bourdon — to battle it out for playing time (or, possibly, getting shipped out of town altogether.)
In Emery, the Flyers got a goalie that posted a 17-1-0 record last season, combining with Corey Crawford to win the Jennings Trophy in Chicago.
“All he does is win,” Holmgren said of Emery, who expects to platoon with Steve Mason in goal next season.
All in all, the Flyers sounded very confident that last year’s disappointment — a 10th-place finish in the Eastern Conference — won’t carry over to 2013-14.
“I feel better than I have in years,” Snider said. “I feel very good about this team.”
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 9
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)