Jul 9, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Former 50-goal scorer Jonathan Cheechoo is off to the KHL to play for Medveščak Zagreb, according to multiple reports.
Cheechoo, 32, has spent the last three seasons in the AHL trying to rediscover the form that saw him score 56 times in 2005-06 for the San Jose Sharks.
Winning the Rocket Richard Trophy would mark the high point of his career.
In 2009, Cheechoo was traded to Ottawa, along with Milan Michalek, for Dany Heatley. But he only scored five goals in 61 games for the Senators before being sent down to Binghamton. His contract was eventually bought out by the Sens.
Cheechoo had 13 goals in 35 games last year for Oklahoma City.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)