Jul 9, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Former 50-goal scorer Jonathan Cheechoo is off to the KHL to play for Medveščak Zagreb, according to multiple reports.
Cheechoo, 32, has spent the last three seasons in the AHL trying to rediscover the form that saw him score 56 times in 2005-06 for the San Jose Sharks.
Winning the Rocket Richard Trophy would mark the high point of his career.
In 2009, Cheechoo was traded to Ottawa, along with Milan Michalek, for Dany Heatley. But he only scored five goals in 61 games for the Senators before being sent down to Binghamton. His contract was eventually bought out by the Sens.
Cheechoo had 13 goals in 35 games last year for Oklahoma City.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 17
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)