Jul 9, 2013, 12:37 PM EST
When PHT last checked in on former NHL tough guy Georges Laraque, his house was being raided by the police as part of a fraud investigation.
Before that, he was quitting the ill-fated, at-times bizarre effort to unionize junior hockey. (Remember this?)
But all that was then. This is now — Laraque is running in a by-election for a seat in Canada’s House of Commons. He’ll represent the Green Party in Montreal’s Bourassa riding.
“While we do not know the election date yet, I want to start campaigning now,” Laraque said in a statement.
“We have a lot of work ahead of us and I want to take advantage of the summer to meet you and listen to your concerns. I’ll be in Bourassa all summer, and you can already get in touch with me now.”
An outspoken vegan, animal-rights advocate and environmentalist, the Green Party certainly fits Laraque’s political views.
And given the Green Party should be a massive underdog in this by-election, his celebrity status may serve the party’s ambitions rather well, too.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)