Jul 9, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Separated by roughly 500 miles and set to become divisional foes next season, Winnipeg and Minnesota already had the makings for a pretty healthy rivalry.
Now, there’s more.
On Friday, the Wild traded forward Devin Setoguchi to Winnipeg for a 2014 2nd-round pick, and Setoguchi is already talking about the chance to play his former club.
“It was always said that the rivalry was going to happen between Winnipeg and Minnesota. Now it’s going to grow even bigger for me,” Setoguchi told the Winnipeg Sun. “We probably play each other seven or eight times and that’s going to make it more fun and make it even more (significant) for myself when we play those guys.”
What’s more, Setoguchi didn’t even hear about the trade from the Wild brass.
To be clear, Setoguchi didn’t sound disappointed or angry at the trade, or how it transpired.
In fact, he sounded downright excited at the possibility of playing on the wing opposite Evander Kane when the season opens in the fall.
“If I do get that opportunity, obviously it’s pretty exciting,” Setoguchi said. “He’s a pretty special player, a pretty electric player.
“He’s a pretty good player and he can do a lot of things other than just shoot.”
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)