Jets-Wild rivalry ‘even bigger’ after trade, says Setoguchi

Jul 9, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT

Devin Setoguchi Getty Images

Separated by roughly 500 miles and set to become divisional foes next season, Winnipeg and Minnesota already had the makings for a pretty healthy rivalry.

Now, there’s more.

On Friday, the Wild traded forward Devin Setoguchi to Winnipeg for a 2014 2nd-round pick, and Setoguchi is already talking about the chance to play his former club.

“It was always said that the rivalry was going to happen between Winnipeg and Minnesota. Now it’s going to grow even bigger for me,” Setoguchi told the Winnipeg Sun. “We probably play each other seven or eight times and that’s going to make it more fun and make it even more (significant) for myself when we play those guys.”

What’s more, Setoguchi didn’t even hear about the trade from the Wild brass.

Down in Mexico to attend the wedding of teammate (now former teammate) Clayton Stoner, the 26-year-old winger found out he’d been dealt after another ex-mate, Zenon Konopka, showed him on his iPad.

To be clear, Setoguchi didn’t sound disappointed or angry at the trade, or how it transpired.

In fact, he sounded downright excited at the possibility of playing on the wing opposite Evander Kane when the season opens in the fall.

“If I do get that opportunity, obviously it’s pretty exciting,” Setoguchi said. “He’s a pretty special player, a pretty electric player.

“He’s a pretty good player and he can do a lot of things other than just shoot.”

1. northstarsmitty - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Apparently playing on the same line as Parise to open the season was not exciting enough? This is redemption role, Devon. I wish him all the best, he is right, Winnie is the new rival of Minnie. Gucci Mane never played with heart here. He was that player I was excited to watch develop and came with potential from SJ. He just never seemed confident enough, or didn’t care to vuy into system, and went cold at times as if he didn’t know what to do. He has a hell of a slap shot and could do work on the PP for the Jets. Simply, when relied on in MN to produce, he failed and would bounce back only after line demotions. I think the return was fair so I will role with it. More proof the Wild are dumping role scoring players to make room for VANEK come next season!

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Tons of skill and ability, but I wonder if he experienced the Cheechoo effect there in SJ. Had that one year and now everyone expects that out of him. Still, should be nice to see how he does with Kane. He had some success with PMB and Cully before they got injured. Hopefully he’ll find that magic in Wpg too.

• rsmaggiemae - Jul 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Winnipeg is only 492 miles from Minneapolis. and having season tickets to the Wild, when the Jets come to town about 1/4 of the arena is filled with Jets fans It is a rivalry and always has been but now with Settoguchi with the jets,it is even more so..
      I would not call him a top scorer he did not do very well this year, he had a spurt of scoring goals but then went dead

yes. I am sure the Wild are doing everything possible to get Vanek here next year
      it would be great as he lives here in the off season not far from St Paul
      But they have to rid themselves of Heatly 7.5 mil contract Personally, I find Heatly somewhat greedy as he is now suring his agent for 11 million bucks. how much money do these players in sports need to survive and that goes for all of them not just hockey…
      I have to scrimp to buy tickets tothe Wild, Gophers men and womena hockey and now the Wild raised the prices by 4 percent I suppose to help pay Parise and Suter…
      It is getting out of hand for the average working person to afford the cost of tickets either season or individual games.. add in parking, food, drink etc it really adds up fast/
      thats why I have to go without to afford the tickets/
      It would be nice if the Wild had more promotions for free tickets for the fans
      they only give them away if you are a season ticket holder/
      I know on canadian tv. some of the cities have drawings for gifts that are given away during period commercials to the fans who cant attend.. its a nice jesture

2. georgejarkko - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

It would’ve been better if he started his comments with “Let me tell ya, brother…”

3. drewsylvania - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM

This is a rivalry?

• gooterbaby - Jul 10, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Its a rivalry that is slowing building. If you have been to a Wild-Jets game you would know. The one I went to in St Paul Jets fans essentially sold out the away end and made a lot of noise. The new divisions will build lots of new rivalries and restore some old ones…

4. titansbro - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Um, real rivals don’t make trades with each other. When was the last time the Bruins & Habs made a trade?

5. MannySilvers - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Can’t wait to see this one on Wednesday night rivalry! Along with other great rivalries such as Panthers/Flames and Stars/Blue Jackets.

6. titansrbeast - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Oh what a great rivalry the Winnipeg Jets vs the Minnesota Wild….LOL what a joke. Teams don’t just suddenly “become” rivals it will take years to develop a solid rivalry and Wednesday night rivalry half of the time is just two strong teams from the same conference. Almost like we’re trying to create rivalries for excitement. It’s not needed lmao.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I see you’re from the all-knowing hockey brain trust down there in Tennessee, eh? Yup, figures.

7. jacketsfan7 - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM

@georgejarkko Boston and Toronto make trades all the time , so do the pens and caps and pens and flyers , and many other teams

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Thank you. The ignorance of some, I tell ya.

• nj666 - Jul 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

the pens caps “rivalry” was a scheme made up by NBC.

8. jacketsfan7 - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Whoops that last comment was for @titansbro , not Georgejarkko , sorry

9. noozehound - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Winnipeg is Minnesota’s rival?

call me when you’re Chicago.
    the Norris Division is back. It’s MN vs Chicago, and noone else.

10. lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Wow, all y’all really don’t have a clue, do you? Speaking as a former Winnipegger living in Minneapolis, this most certainly IS a rivalry. When you get 6-8k Peggers roadtripping 450 mi down to St. Paul to see the Jets take on the Wild, that is fertile grounds for a rivalry, and one both teams’ fans desperately want. None of this forced, one-sided Wild-Canucks “rivalry” horsecrap. Yes, there will always be inter-Canadian battles but the closest city, Calgary, is 13 hrs away, and everyone else much further yet. Ask any Wild fan who was in attendance at the Xcel on Feb. 16th, 2012, and almost invariably they’ll tell you it was the best Wild game they’d ever been to, as it was mine. Peggers love coming to the Twin Cities for vacation; this is simply another great reason to visit. I plan on going to however many games the Jets come here for next year because it’s the best rivalry they’ve both got, whether anyone outside Manitoba or Minnesota believes it or not. Neither team had any real rivals last year, but thanks to geographical distance, and the impending realignment (not to mention neither team was in any way expected to make the playoffs, let alone compete for the Cup), they and their fans were more than happy to pair up and throw down in good fun, and that was just a taste of what’s to come.

I don’t blame anyone not on the pulse of the Wild in thinking that Chicago would make the best rivals, and lots of folks here wish it were true. It probably will increase with the realignment, especially since the Wild are quickly becoming serious contenders. However, as it stands, Chicago’s got a bunch of snooty bandwagon fans who didn’t know they had a team until they became televised. Jets fans have been chomping at the bit to get a good, ol’ fashioned, cross-border competition going, which caught Wild fans a bit off guard, but have been quite happy to oblige.

• larry1957 - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I am not a snooty bandwagon jumpin Hawks Fan. I have been a Hawks fan for nearly 45 years. I used to go to a lot of Chicago-MN North stars games at the old Chicago Stadium. I too live in MN.Big Lake to be exact. I lived in IL most of my life and have retired here. The distance between Winnipeg and St Paul, and the distance from Chicago-St Paul is roughly the same. There’s a large Fan Base that travels with both the Hawks and the “Peggers” as you put it. After the way the Hawks dismantled the wild in 5 games, I’d say the wild is looking for payback. Same Division. Both Teams will look different next year due to Free agency. Let the chips fall where they may. Game On!

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I’m with ya there, Larry. I hope Minnesota gets the rivalries they’ve been wanting for quite some time. Now that Minnesota is looking more and more competitive, the resurrected Norris Division should have some good battles for a while.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Fletcher,

That’s the same thing I had been saying on all the realignment posts. Now I’m waiting for the snarky post from Atwatercrushesokye

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jul 10, 2013 at 1:09 AM

No snarky post, I still think that Winnipeg and Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver have rivalries that exist on levels that Minnesota and Winnipeg just don’t have, it exists beyond a hockey level.

With that being said I don’t think the new Jets (at a team level) have rivalries with any of the teams, strictly because they haven’t played any of them enough. They’ve played the Canucks/Oilers and Flames once each and the Wild twice I believe.

However I will acknowledge that with the new divisions the Jets-Wild rivalry will become pretty decent, especially with division playoffs returning.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM

lol Fletcher? I didn’t see his name come up anywhere.

• greatmiamisportsmind - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:57 PM

lordFLETCHER…

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Yep, Fletcher still didn’t comment anywhere here.

11. rebekah319 - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Seto I wish you did more when you were here in MN but that was just not the case. If I was a Jet fan I would just be less than excited that he came to your turn via trade because he is so streaky it sometimes is painful for a guy with so much pontienal and skill he should start to use it more.. maybe that will change but I would be cautious about him

12. helloname01 - Jul 10, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I was at the draft in St Paul I think 3 years ago or so, and Winnipeg was the only team who had fans that traveled to that in droves. This will indeed be a rivalry

Top 10 NHL Player Searches