Jul 9, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Separated by roughly 500 miles and set to become divisional foes next season, Winnipeg and Minnesota already had the makings for a pretty healthy rivalry.
Now, there’s more.
On Friday, the Wild traded forward Devin Setoguchi to Winnipeg for a 2014 2nd-round pick, and Setoguchi is already talking about the chance to play his former club.
“It was always said that the rivalry was going to happen between Winnipeg and Minnesota. Now it’s going to grow even bigger for me,” Setoguchi told the Winnipeg Sun. “We probably play each other seven or eight times and that’s going to make it more fun and make it even more (significant) for myself when we play those guys.”
What’s more, Setoguchi didn’t even hear about the trade from the Wild brass.
To be clear, Setoguchi didn’t sound disappointed or angry at the trade, or how it transpired.
In fact, he sounded downright excited at the possibility of playing on the wing opposite Evander Kane when the season opens in the fall.
“If I do get that opportunity, obviously it’s pretty exciting,” Setoguchi said. “He’s a pretty special player, a pretty electric player.
“He’s a pretty good player and he can do a lot of things other than just shoot.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)