Jul 9, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
The agent representing Jaromir Jagr says there’s no truth to reports his client was entertaining the idea of signing in Buffalo.
“I have not talked to anybody in Buffalo and the Sabres have not called,” Petr Svoboda told the Buffalo News on Tuesday.
“It’s absolutely not true. Speculation.”
The report originated from a Czech publication (Lidovky.cz) and was highlighted on Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy, which also cited Montreal and Carolina as potential landing spots for the 41-year-old winger.
Dave Davis of The Sabres Observer asked Svoboda about the Czech report, to which the former NHLer said “It’s a guessing game I think, you know?”
Buffalo has around $11 million in available cap space and has been remarkably quite on the trade and free agent front thus far. The Sabres’ lone move was re-signing defenseman Alexander Sulzer to a one-year deal.
Jagr is arguably the highest-profile free agent left on the open market. He’s been tied to the Canadiens by a number of sources, but appears determined to take his time with the decision.
Last year, Jagr waited three days into free agency before signing a one-year, $4.55 million deal with Dallas.
- Bobby Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 0
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)