Jul 9, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
The agent representing Jaromir Jagr says there’s no truth to reports his client was entertaining the idea of signing in Buffalo.
“I have not talked to anybody in Buffalo and the Sabres have not called,” Petr Svoboda told the Buffalo News on Tuesday.
“It’s absolutely not true. Speculation.”
The report originated from a Czech publication (Lidovky.cz) and was highlighted on Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy, which also cited Montreal and Carolina as potential landing spots for the 41-year-old winger.
Dave Davis of The Sabres Observer asked Svoboda about the Czech report, to which the former NHLer said “It’s a guessing game I think, you know?”
Buffalo has around $11 million in available cap space and has been remarkably quite on the trade and free agent front thus far. The Sabres’ lone move was re-signing defenseman Alexander Sulzer to a one-year deal.
Jagr is arguably the highest-profile free agent left on the open market. He’s been tied to the Canadiens by a number of sources, but appears determined to take his time with the decision.
Last year, Jagr waited three days into free agency before signing a one-year, $4.55 million deal with Dallas.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)