Jul 9, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
The agent representing Jaromir Jagr says there’s no truth to reports his client was entertaining the idea of signing in Buffalo.
“I have not talked to anybody in Buffalo and the Sabres have not called,” Petr Svoboda told the Buffalo News on Tuesday.
“It’s absolutely not true. Speculation.”
The report originated from a Czech publication (Lidovky.cz) and was highlighted on Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy, which also cited Montreal and Carolina as potential landing spots for the 41-year-old winger.
Dave Davis of The Sabres Observer asked Svoboda about the Czech report, to which the former NHLer said “It’s a guessing game I think, you know?”
Buffalo has around $11 million in available cap space and has been remarkably quite on the trade and free agent front thus far. The Sabres’ lone move was re-signing defenseman Alexander Sulzer to a one-year deal.
Jagr is arguably the highest-profile free agent left on the open market. He’s been tied to the Canadiens by a number of sources, but appears determined to take his time with the decision.
Last year, Jagr waited three days into free agency before signing a one-year, $4.55 million deal with Dallas.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 8
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)