Jul 9, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
The agent representing Jaromir Jagr says there’s no truth to reports his client was entertaining the idea of signing in Buffalo.
“I have not talked to anybody in Buffalo and the Sabres have not called,” Petr Svoboda told the Buffalo News on Tuesday.
“It’s absolutely not true. Speculation.”
The report originated from a Czech publication (Lidovky.cz) and was highlighted on Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy, which also cited Montreal and Carolina as potential landing spots for the 41-year-old winger.
Dave Davis of The Sabres Observer asked Svoboda about the Czech report, to which the former NHLer said “It’s a guessing game I think, you know?”
Buffalo has around $11 million in available cap space and has been remarkably quite on the trade and free agent front thus far. The Sabres’ lone move was re-signing defenseman Alexander Sulzer to a one-year deal.
Jagr is arguably the highest-profile free agent left on the open market. He’s been tied to the Canadiens by a number of sources, but appears determined to take his time with the decision.
Last year, Jagr waited three days into free agency before signing a one-year, $4.55 million deal with Dallas.
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 0
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)