Jul 9, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
The agent representing Jaromir Jagr says there’s no truth to reports his client was entertaining the idea of signing in Buffalo.
“I have not talked to anybody in Buffalo and the Sabres have not called,” Petr Svoboda told the Buffalo News on Tuesday.
“It’s absolutely not true. Speculation.”
The report originated from a Czech publication (Lidovky.cz) and was highlighted on Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy, which also cited Montreal and Carolina as potential landing spots for the 41-year-old winger.
Dave Davis of The Sabres Observer asked Svoboda about the Czech report, to which the former NHLer said “It’s a guessing game I think, you know?”
Buffalo has around $11 million in available cap space and has been remarkably quite on the trade and free agent front thus far. The Sabres’ lone move was re-signing defenseman Alexander Sulzer to a one-year deal.
Jagr is arguably the highest-profile free agent left on the open market. He’s been tied to the Canadiens by a number of sources, but appears determined to take his time with the decision.
Last year, Jagr waited three days into free agency before signing a one-year, $4.55 million deal with Dallas.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)