Jul 9, 2013, 2:54 PM EST
Gustafsson, 24, enjoyed a successful 2013 campaign with the Flyers, scoring a career-high eight points in 27 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
He worked his way into the lineup in mid-February and was a mainstay through the remainder of the regular season, playing a career-high 25:52 in a loss to the Devils in mid-April.
Coming off his entry-level deal (three years, $2.7 million), Gustafsson earned a slight pay raise and should be in line for a regular role for the Flyers next season.
While the club does have 10 defensemen currently under contract, one of them is Chris Pronger (who will be placed on LTIR), and it’s likely that Gustafsson will pass (or, already has passed) Bruno Gervais and Marc-Andre Bourdon on the depth chart.
It’s also possible the Flyers will deal a defenseman in order to gain some cap space. Braydon Coburn‘s name has popped up in a number of trade rumors.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 42
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)