Jul 9, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Gustafsson, 24, enjoyed a successful 2013 campaign with the Flyers, scoring a career-high eight points in 27 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
He worked his way into the lineup in mid-February and was a mainstay through the remainder of the regular season, playing a career-high 25:52 in a loss to the Devils in mid-April.
Coming off his entry-level deal (three years, $2.7 million), Gustafsson earned a slight pay raise and should be in line for a regular role for the Flyers next season.
While the club does have 10 defensemen currently under contract, one of them is Chris Pronger (who will be placed on LTIR), and it’s likely that Gustafsson will pass (or, already has passed) Bruno Gervais and Marc-Andre Bourdon on the depth chart.
It’s also possible the Flyers will deal a defenseman in order to gain some cap space. Braydon Coburn‘s name has popped up in a number of trade rumors.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)