Jul 9, 2013, 2:54 PM EST
Gustafsson, 24, enjoyed a successful 2013 campaign with the Flyers, scoring a career-high eight points in 27 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
He worked his way into the lineup in mid-February and was a mainstay through the remainder of the regular season, playing a career-high 25:52 in a loss to the Devils in mid-April.
Coming off his entry-level deal (three years, $2.7 million), Gustafsson earned a slight pay raise and should be in line for a regular role for the Flyers next season.
While the club does have 10 defensemen currently under contract, one of them is Chris Pronger (who will be placed on LTIR), and it’s likely that Gustafsson will pass (or, already has passed) Bruno Gervais and Marc-Andre Bourdon on the depth chart.
It’s also possible the Flyers will deal a defenseman in order to gain some cap space. Braydon Coburn‘s name has popped up in a number of trade rumors.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11