Jul 9, 2013, 2:54 PM EST
Gustafsson, 24, enjoyed a successful 2013 campaign with the Flyers, scoring a career-high eight points in 27 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
He worked his way into the lineup in mid-February and was a mainstay through the remainder of the regular season, playing a career-high 25:52 in a loss to the Devils in mid-April.
Coming off his entry-level deal (three years, $2.7 million), Gustafsson earned a slight pay raise and should be in line for a regular role for the Flyers next season.
While the club does have 10 defensemen currently under contract, one of them is Chris Pronger (who will be placed on LTIR), and it’s likely that Gustafsson will pass (or, already has passed) Bruno Gervais and Marc-Andre Bourdon on the depth chart.
It’s also possible the Flyers will deal a defenseman in order to gain some cap space. Braydon Coburn‘s name has popped up in a number of trade rumors.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)