Cooke seeks Derek Boogaard’s parents’ blessing to wear late son’s number

Jul 9, 2013, 9:50 AM EST

Matt Cooke #24 of the Pittsburgh Penguins controls the puck against the Colorado Avalanche at the Pepsi Center on March 3, 2012 in Denver, Colorado. The Penguins defeated the Avalanche 5-1.
(March 2, 2012 - Source: Doug Pensinger/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

34-year-old forward Matt Cooke recently signed with the Minnesota Wild and that act alone has created controversy.

Amid that, he did an interview with KFAN and among the subjects that came up was the sensitive issue of what number he would wear. Throughout his career, he has been No. 24, which was also worn in Minnesota by the late Derek Boogaard.

“The team told me they’re OK with me wearing it because Marty [Havlat] wore it after [Boogaard],” Cooke said. “I don’t really feel comfortable putting it on without his mum and dad’s blessing.

“I’ve sent emails off to them. I want to let them know that by putting it on I’m absolutely not doing anything disrespectful. It’s been my only number in the NHL, but at the end of the day, I don’t want anyone’s feelings hurt. I don’t want anyone to think that I am being disrespectful and I want to make sure I take care of that before I even entertain the thought of putting it on.”

Len Boogaard, the father of Derek, forwarded the message to his kids, including Derek’s brother, Ryan.

“I read the e-mail and I greatly respect Matt for what he said in it,” Ryan said, according to the Star Tribune. “I texted my dad and told him I have no issues with it. I’m very impressed with Matt for what he did by reaching out to my parents.

“He didn’t have to do it as he could have just worn #24, but he thought of Derek and our family before doing so. I knew that someone would eventually wear #24 and I was not expecting them to reach out to us, so when Matt did, I could not have been happier.”

Latest Posts
  1. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Viva Las Vegas?

Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

LasVegasHockey

The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.

2. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: The NHL gets the mumps

Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST

crosbyface

Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.

3. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Slava Voynov’s domestic assault case

Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpte3nju0ywnmnjbkytrlmwjlmtu4mgixnzhhmdlhzme5 AP

And the NHL’s swift, significant response.

4. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Another Leafs collapse ushers in analytics era

Dec 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Leafs practice Getty Images

2014 was another painful year, but was it also one of progress?

5. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: St. Louis forces his way out of Tampa Bay

Dec 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers Getty Images

The perfect storm that led to a shocking trade deadline captains swap between two teams looking to make serious playoff runs.

6. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment

Dec 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men AP

A major letdown in Sochi, followed by the Caps missing the playoffs.

7. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Canada dominates en route to Olympic gold

Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

Carey Price Carey Price

One of the best performances in international hockey history.

8. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Quinn, Beliveau pass away

Dec 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

Jean Beliveau AP

Hockey mourned the loss of two of its most respected individuals.

9. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Canucks and Flames brawl, followed by Torts losing his mind

Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

It wasn’t the reason he was fired, but it sure was memorable.

10. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Teemu Selanne retires

Dec 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men AP

After 22 years, the Finnish Flash called it a day.

11. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Winter Classic at the Big House

Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Over 105,000 descended on Ann Arbor for an unforgettable experience.

12. PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Oshie’s shootout mastery in Sochi

Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EST

Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men AP

Even a disappointing Olympic finish can’t erase a star-making moment.

13. Poile moves to second on all-time GM wins list

Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST

David Poile AP

Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.

14. Overtime/shootout drama becoming the norm in Florida

Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST

Roberto Luongo Getty Images

“It’s like a little miracle down here.”

15. Scoring change gives Nash his first Rangers hat trick

Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST

Nash goal

The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.

16. Hextall impressed by Zepp, but cautious when predicting his future

Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST

Rob Zepp Getty Images

Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?

17. Lightning returns top goalie prospect Vasilevskiy to AHL

Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST

Andrei Vasilevskiy Getty Images

His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches