Cooke seeks Derek Boogaard’s parents’ blessing to wear late son’s number

Jul 9, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT

Matt Cooke #24 of the Pittsburgh Penguins controls the puck against the Colorado Avalanche at the Pepsi Center on March 3, 2012 in Denver, Colorado. The Penguins defeated the Avalanche 5-1.
(March 2, 2012 - Source: Doug Pensinger/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

34-year-old forward Matt Cooke recently signed with the Minnesota Wild and that act alone has created controversy.

Amid that, he did an interview with KFAN and among the subjects that came up was the sensitive issue of what number he would wear. Throughout his career, he has been No. 24, which was also worn in Minnesota by the late Derek Boogaard.

“The team told me they’re OK with me wearing it because Marty [Havlat] wore it after [Boogaard],” Cooke said. “I don’t really feel comfortable putting it on without his mum and dad’s blessing.

“I’ve sent emails off to them. I want to let them know that by putting it on I’m absolutely not doing anything disrespectful. It’s been my only number in the NHL, but at the end of the day, I don’t want anyone’s feelings hurt. I don’t want anyone to think that I am being disrespectful and I want to make sure I take care of that before I even entertain the thought of putting it on.”

Len Boogaard, the father of Derek, forwarded the message to his kids, including Derek’s brother, Ryan.

“I read the e-mail and I greatly respect Matt for what he said in it,” Ryan said, according to the Star Tribune. “I texted my dad and told him I have no issues with it. I’m very impressed with Matt for what he did by reaching out to my parents.

“He didn’t have to do it as he could have just worn #24, but he thought of Derek and our family before doing so. I knew that someone would eventually wear #24 and I was not expecting them to reach out to us, so when Matt did, I could not have been happier.”

Latest Posts
  1. Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’

Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

Dallas Stars v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.

2. Video: Flames’ Gaudreau scored another nice one

Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.

3. Report: Marc Staal wants at least $6M per year from Rangers

Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Four Getty Images

He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.

4. NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton

Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

tkachevvlad Getty Images

Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.

5. Sabres expect Kaleta to miss about one month

Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs V Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.

6. NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale

Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT

islanderslogo

It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.

7. Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’

Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets  v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Two Getty Images

What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …

8. Drouin’s goal is to return for Lightning opener

Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

Lightning Camp Hockey AP

He says the “progress has been really good.”

9. Risk Factors: Toronto Maple Leafs edition

Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT

Randy Carlyle Getty Images

Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?

10. Babcock was raving about Smith’s performance versus Leafs

Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”

11. Caps still haven’t identified their 2C

Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Brooks Laich Getty Images

“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”

12. Spezza wants to ‘get comfortable’ before talking contract with Stars

Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT

Florida Panthers v Dallas Stars Getty Images

“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”

13. Jets get good news on eye injuries to Cormier, Galiardi

Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Patrice Cormier Patrice Cormier

Looks like both have avoided serious damage.

14. Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight

Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT

claudegirouxcgetty Getty Images

Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches