Chris Chelios played ‘until the tank was empty’

Jul 9, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT

Chris Chelios AP

It’s likely that just about every player – even Hall of Famers – retire with a regret or two. Leaving the game too early isn’t something that Chris Chelios is likely to ponder, however.

At 51, Chelios is the oldest first-time HHOF eligible candidate the selection committee ever considered, according to NHL.com. He seemed grateful to last long enough to appear in 1,651 games, which is the fifth-most among NHL defensemen and the most of any American-born player.

“I always said I’d go right until the tank was empty and I believe I did,” Chelios said.

Chelios was able to dispel any doubt by playing until he was 48, including a still-strange run with the Atlanta Thrashers (via Getty).

source: Getty Images

That’s quite the odd finish for a guy who began his career with the Montreal Canadiens in 1983.

“I came in and I played with Guy LaFleur, Steve Shutt, Larry Robinson, Bob Gainey,” Chelios said. “They took me under their wings and I learned from the best. Hockey players are great guys in general, but to learn from the best, guys who had so much success, you have to listen to them. That, I think, had a big bearing on my career.”

Of course, such a long run draws the stray joke, including this bit of needling from fellow inductee Scott Niedermayer (via Eric Stephens of the OC Register):

“I was part of one era. I think Chris was part of a few,” Niedermayer said.

Latest Posts
  1. NHL bringing back draft pick compensation this offseason for hiring away coaches, GMs

Mar 31, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Detroit Red Wings Getty Images

3rd-round pick if it happens after the season, 2nd-rounder if it happens in-season.

2. Contract stalemate continues between Columbus, prized prospect Reilly

Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

2014 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Semifinals Getty Images

University of Minnesota blueliner inching closer to free agency.

3. Bettman shoots down idea of renaming NHL awards

Mar 31, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT

2014 NHL Awards - Arrivals Getty Images

So the Hart will not, as some have suggested, become the Gretzky.

4. Versteeg misses Kane

Mar 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Chicago Blackhawks Toronto Maple Leafs v Chicago Blackhawks

Blackhawks duo “had a good thing going.”

5. Pressure’s on the Jets, who don’t want to blow it now

Mar 31, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

Could really use a win tonight versus the Rangers.

6. Despite trend of visitors winning Game 7, Laviolette wants home ice for Preds

Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Peter Laviolette AP

“I can speak from experience that home ice matters.”

7. Goalie nods: Hamburglar goes for Ottawa

Mar 31, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

Andrew Hammond Andrew Hammond

News and notes from around the crease…

8. Report: BC standout Matheson to sign with Panthers, forgo senior year

Mar 31, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT

Frozen Fenway 2014: Notre Dame v Boston College Getty Images

He was Florida’s first-round pick (23rd overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

9. Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack

Mar 31, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

This after his team, Rogle, terminated his contract on Monday.

10. Mrazek gets chance to bounce back, will start tonight versus Sens

Mar 31, 2015, 12:01 PM EDT

Detroit Red Wings v New York Islanders Getty Images

Gave up four goals on 11 shots Sunday versus the Islanders.

11. Isles sign Quebec league tough guy Johnston

Mar 31, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT

Johnston

6-foot-5, 225-pounder led Charlottetown in penalty minutes this year, with 124.

12. Bruins sign Miami (Ohio) playmaker Czarnik

Mar 31, 2015, 10:38 AM EDT

Miami v Providence Getty Images

He finished tied for third in the country in assists last season.

Hammond leads Ottawa's turnaround