Chris Chelios played ‘until the tank was empty’

Jul 9, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT

Chris Chelios AP

It’s likely that just about every player – even Hall of Famers – retire with a regret or two. Leaving the game too early isn’t something that Chris Chelios is likely to ponder, however.

At 51, Chelios is the oldest first-time HHOF eligible candidate the selection committee ever considered, according to NHL.com. He seemed grateful to last long enough to appearĀ in 1,651 games, which is the fifth-most among NHL defensemen and the most of any American-born player.

“I always said I’d go right until the tank was empty and I believe I did,” Chelios said.

Chelios was able to dispel any doubt by playing until he was 48, including a still-strange run with the Atlanta Thrashers (via Getty).

source: Getty Images

That’s quite the odd finish for a guy who began his career with the Montreal Canadiens in 1983.

“I came in and I played with Guy LaFleur, Steve Shutt, Larry Robinson, Bob Gainey,” Chelios said. “They took me under their wings and I learned from the best. Hockey players are great guys in general, but to learn from the best, guys who had so much success, you have to listen to them. That, I think, had a big bearing on my career.”

Of course, such a long run draws the stray joke, including this bit of needling from fellow inductee Scott Niedermayer (via Eric Stephens of the OC Register):

“I was part of one era. I think Chris was part of a few,” Niedermayer said.

Latest Posts
  1. Bruins name Sacco assistant coach

Jul 24, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

Joe Sacco AP

Former Colorado bench boss and Massachusetts native returns home.

2. Avs hope to learn from ‘nightmare’ playoff finish

Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Seven Getty Images

“Maybe it just wasn’t our time yet,” Patrick Roy said.

3. PHT Morning Skate: What to do with Niemi?

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Antti Niemi AP

Thursday’s assortment of links.

4. Babcock on analytics: ‘I love the information’

Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

mikebabcockgetty Getty Images

Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.

5. Florida phases out ‘Lady Panthers’

Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Florida Panthers Getty Images

They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.

6. Video: EA teases what’s new in NHL 15

Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT

eanhl15screen

Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?

7. Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016

Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

James Reimer, Mark Fraser, Steven Stamkos AP

“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”

8. Sakic says there was ‘never any animosity’ between Avs and O’Reilly

Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Joe Sakic AP

“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”

9. Jacques Martin is now Pittsburgh’s senior advisor of hockey operations

Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Jacques Martin, Dan Bylsma, Sidney Crosby, James Neal, Chris Kunitz AP

His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.

10. Fayne looking forward to defending the ‘bigger guys’ in West

Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT

Mark Fayne, Mark Letestu AP

“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”

11. Ex-NHLer Paek to coach Korea, with goal of participating in 2018 Olympics

Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT

Detroit Red Wings 2007 Headshots Getty Images

Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

12. Sabres sign d-man Benoit — one year, $800,000

Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.

13. Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain

Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.

14. New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now)

Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Alex Ovechkin, Victor Hedman AP

Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches