Jul 9, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
Apparently Don Cherry doesn’t think much of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to give Tyler Bozak a five-year, $21 million contract extension.
“I can’t believe they re-signed him for that,” the outspoken Hockey Night in Canada announcer told the Grande Prairie Daily Herald.
“I mean, there’s a classic case of overpaying a guy. Ridiculous. He’s a plugger, he’s playing with (Phil) Kessel and he can’t get 20 goals. You could get 20 goals playing with Kessel (laugh).”
Bozak, a 27-year-old center, had 28 points in 46 games last season.
So far as Cherry’s comments are concerned, there will be no shortage of observers who agree with them. In fact, many think the Leafs should’ve kept center Mikhail Grabovski, who the team bought out, and let Bozak walk away.
On the other hand, Bozak’s $4.2 million cap hit is actually lower than what many thought he could get in free agency. So in that way, it was a win for general manager Dave Nonis.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 18
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 31
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 32
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 54
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 162
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (163)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (58)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)