Jul 9, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Apparently Don Cherry doesn’t think much of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to give Tyler Bozak a five-year, $21 million contract extension.
“I can’t believe they re-signed him for that,” the outspoken Hockey Night in Canada announcer told the Grande Prairie Daily Herald.
“I mean, there’s a classic case of overpaying a guy. Ridiculous. He’s a plugger, he’s playing with (Phil) Kessel and he can’t get 20 goals. You could get 20 goals playing with Kessel (laugh).”
Bozak, a 27-year-old center, had 28 points in 46 games last season.
So far as Cherry’s comments are concerned, there will be no shortage of observers who agree with them. In fact, many think the Leafs should’ve kept center Mikhail Grabovski, who the team bought out, and let Bozak walk away.
On the other hand, Bozak’s $4.2 million cap hit is actually lower than what many thought he could get in free agency. So in that way, it was a win for general manager Dave Nonis.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)