Jul 9, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Apparently Don Cherry doesn’t think much of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to give Tyler Bozak a five-year, $21 million contract extension.
“I can’t believe they re-signed him for that,” the outspoken Hockey Night in Canada announcer told the Grande Prairie Daily Herald.
“I mean, there’s a classic case of overpaying a guy. Ridiculous. He’s a plugger, he’s playing with (Phil) Kessel and he can’t get 20 goals. You could get 20 goals playing with Kessel (laugh).”
Bozak, a 27-year-old center, had 28 points in 46 games last season.
So far as Cherry’s comments are concerned, there will be no shortage of observers who agree with them. In fact, many think the Leafs should’ve kept center Mikhail Grabovski, who the team bought out, and let Bozak walk away.
On the other hand, Bozak’s $4.2 million cap hit is actually lower than what many thought he could get in free agency. So in that way, it was a win for general manager Dave Nonis.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)