Video: No. 3 overall pick Drouin wants to ‘top-six’ role with Lightning

Jul 8, 2013, 12:03 AM EDT

Jonathan Drouin, the third overall pick in this year’s NHL draft, took to the ice on the first day of Tampa Bay Lightning development camp over the weekend, before meeting with the media to discuss his role on the team.

“Obviously I’m an offensive guy, so I don’t think I’ll be playing third line, fourth line, stuff like that,” Drouin told reporters.

“I want to be in the top six…I’ll just play the same way I’ve been playing and they’re going to choose.”

Drouin, who signed an entry level deal with the Lightning on Friday, scored 41 goals and had 105 points in 49 games with the QMJHL’s Halifax Mooseheads this past season.

Latest Posts
  1. Fleury’s true comeback bid starts tonight

Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury Marc-Andre Fleury

His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.

2. 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks

Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT

StanleyCupPlayoffs14

Add yours in the comments section.

3. Report: Duchene to miss at least first two games of Avalanche-Wild series

Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.

4. Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall

Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT

NHL2014Draft

After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.

5. Pressing question: Will Philly get the goaltending?

Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Steve Mason, Ray Emery AP

Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?

6. NHL hit with third concussion lawsuit

Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

bettmangetty Getty Images

Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.

7. PHT Extra: Can the Jackets upset the Penguins?

Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

What about the Stars over the Ducks?

8. Boudreau won’t say who’s starting for Ducks, but the money’s on Andersen

Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Frederik Andersen, Jonas Hiller AP

“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”

9. Calgary’s AHL affiliate parts ways with Abbotsford

Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

abbotsford heat logo

The city has terminated the contract.

10. Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers

Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v Florida Panthers Getty Images

“That’s not been determined yet,” said head coach Craig Berube.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches