Jul 8, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Shortly after Tom Stillman took over as owner of the St. Louis Blues last May, he said he didn’t envision the club being a cap team anytime soon.
Well, that was then. One new CBA later and the Blues are flirting with the $64.3-million ceiling.
On Saturday, St. Louis inked play-making center Derek Roy to a one-year, $4 million deal. According to CapGeek, the Blues now have a cap payroll of $57.9 million…and they still have to sign restricted free agents Alex Pietrangelo, the team’s best defenseman, winger Chris Stewart, its leading scorer from last year, and Jake Allen, the promising young goalie.
“I think we’re going to be able to get everyone under the umbrella,” general manager Doug Armstrong said, per the Post-Dispatch, “and if need be, we have very valuable pieces — if we have to move players, that’s not going to be an issue finding a home for them.”
Stewart is one name that’s been mentioned in trade speculation, and based on what power forwards got on Friday in free agency, the big 25-year-old could garner a pretty good return.
Jaroslav Halak is another trade candidate, though the market for goalies may be a bit dry now.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)