Jul 8, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Shortly after Tom Stillman took over as owner of the St. Louis Blues last May, he said he didn’t envision the club being a cap team anytime soon.
Well, that was then. One new CBA later and the Blues are flirting with the $64.3-million ceiling.
On Saturday, St. Louis inked play-making center Derek Roy to a one-year, $4 million deal. According to CapGeek, the Blues now have a cap payroll of $57.9 million…and they still have to sign restricted free agents Alex Pietrangelo, the team’s best defenseman, winger Chris Stewart, its leading scorer from last year, and Jake Allen, the promising young goalie.
“I think we’re going to be able to get everyone under the umbrella,” general manager Doug Armstrong said, per the Post-Dispatch, “and if need be, we have very valuable pieces — if we have to move players, that’s not going to be an issue finding a home for them.”
Stewart is one name that’s been mentioned in trade speculation, and based on what power forwards got on Friday in free agency, the big 25-year-old could garner a pretty good return.
Jaroslav Halak is another trade candidate, though the market for goalies may be a bit dry now.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 0
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)