Jul 8, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
Gilroy, 28, broke into the NHL with the Rangers in 2009-10 and proceeded to have his finest year during the 2011-12 campaign, when he appeared in 67 games for the Lightning and Senators, scoring 3G-17A-20PTS, finishing plus-6.
In 2013, Gilroy re-joined the Rangers on a one-year pact but only appeared in 15 games, spending the majority of his time with AHL Connecticut.
Gilroy should have a decent shot of making the Florida roster for 2013-14.
Florida lost the services of Tyson Strachan earlier today — he signed with the Capitals — and had already bought out the final year of Filip Kuba‘s contract, so there are positions to be won on defense.
Of note, the Panthers also signed former Carolina center Jon Matsumoto today as well.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18