Jul 8, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
Gilroy, 28, broke into the NHL with the Rangers in 2009-10 and proceeded to have his finest year during the 2011-12 campaign, when he appeared in 67 games for the Lightning and Senators, scoring 3G-17A-20PTS, finishing plus-6.
In 2013, Gilroy re-joined the Rangers on a one-year pact but only appeared in 15 games, spending the majority of his time with AHL Connecticut.
Gilroy should have a decent shot of making the Florida roster for 2013-14.
Florida lost the services of Tyson Strachan earlier today — he signed with the Capitals — and had already bought out the final year of Filip Kuba‘s contract, so there are positions to be won on defense.
Of note, the Panthers also signed former Carolina center Jon Matsumoto today as well.
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans have a right to be upset with St. Louis 0
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)