Jul 8, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
Wild fans are a bit restless these days.
Minnesota lost longtime forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard to the Islanders in free agency and shipped out Devin Setoguchi to Winnipeg, they’ve also added noted controversy lightning rod Matt Cooke to a three-year deal.
The latter move doesn’t exactly sit well with one Minnesota columnist.
Jim Souhan of the Star Tribune laced into the Wild for signing Cooke and comparing him to former goon Chris Simon. One excerpt from his column is particularly pointed.
Cooke is a cheap-shot artist. He is a dirty player. He’s a better player than Simon was, and he’s better than [Zenon] Konopka, and he might be better than the outgoing Cal Clutterbuck, but the acquisition hints of desperation. To quell fan backlash, Cooke will have to play well enough to allow Fletcher to quote the proverb, “The enemy of my enemy is my friend,” which, translated into hockey talk, is “Crosschecking someone from Vancouver is better than crosschecking someone for Vancouver.”
So much for “Minnesota nice.”
For what it’s worth, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher defended the signing saying Cooke has “really evolved” having not been suspended for the past two seasons. That’s not doing much to calm down the fans who may have been hoping a different move was on the way.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 58
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (143)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)