Jul 8, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT
After 1,020 regular season and 112 playoff games with the Colorado Avalanche, Milan Hejduk‘s time with the only NHL team he’s ever known is over. If he has his way, that doesn’t mean his NHL career is over, too.
The veteran winger’s agent Jiri Crha told the Denver Post that he hopes to land with a different team for the 2013-14 season.
“He wants to keep playing,” Crha said. “If there is any team that really wants to use him for his offensive skills, he still believes he could do it.”
Crha claims that the 37-year-old is “feeling very good health-wise again” and “still valuable.”
There’s little doubt that times have been tough for Hejduk lately.
After scoring 20+ goals in 11 straight seasons, the Czech-born forward was limited to 14 goals and 37 points in 2011-12 and 11 points in 29 games last season.
One might assume that some team would be glad to give him a bargain deal, but Hejduk’s agent says he wants more than a minimum contract.
“He’s not going to take some (minimum) salary,” Crha said. “It could be a contract with bonuses or something like that, if he achieved them then it’s fair to both sides. But we’ll see, as I said there is no rush.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)