Jul 8, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Poulin, 23, has appeared in 21 games with the Isles since being selected in the fifth round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
His career on Long Island started well — he went 4-2-1 with a 2.44 GAA and .924 save percentage in his rookie year — but has flatlined lately. He had an average 2011-12 (2-4-0, 3.04 GAA, .907 save percentage) and an equally mediocre 2013 (1-3, 3.02 GAA, .893 save percentage).
That said, the former QMJHL Victoriaville standout will have a shot to be Evgeni Nabokov‘s full-time backup in 2013-14.
With Rick DiPietro gone and Anders Nilsson coming off a so-so year with AHL Bridgeport, the door is open for Poulin to be the full-time No. 2.
That said, GM Garth Snow could opt for a more experienced presence behind Nabokov.
The Islanders aren’t exactly pressed for cap space (approximately $22 million away from the ceiling) and there are a number of veteran goalies still available: Jose Theodore, Chris Mason and Johan Hedberg, to name a few.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)