Jul 8, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
The Red Wings’ annual prospects camp will have a couple of elder statesmen in the mix.
Defenseman Danny DeKesyer — who made his NHL debut with the Wings last season — and Darren Helm, limited to just one game in 2013 because of a back injury, are expected to take part in the Traverse City event, according to the Detroit News.
UPDATE: Detroit has released its camp roster and, contrary to earlier reports, DeKeyser is not going to Traverse City.
Helm is in, though — and it’s easy to see why.
He needs an opportunity to test his wonky back, which gave him constant trouble throughout last season. His 2013 campaign was basically a series of stops and starts featuring various states of rehab, solo skates and the occasional practice.
But the injury never improved to the point where he was going to join the lineup.
Dubbed as one of the NHL’s best third-line centers by head coach Mike Babcock, the 26-year-old Helm should be on the ice when Detroit’s prospects get underway this Wednesday.
Of note, 2013 first-round pick Anthony Mantha is also expected to participate.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)