Jul 8, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
The Red Wings’ annual prospects camp will have a couple of elder statesmen in the mix.
Defenseman Danny DeKesyer — who made his NHL debut with the Wings last season — and Darren Helm, limited to just one game in 2013 because of a back injury, are expected to take part in the Traverse City event, according to the Detroit News.
UPDATE: Detroit has released its camp roster and, contrary to earlier reports, DeKeyser is not going to Traverse City.
Helm is in, though — and it’s easy to see why.
He needs an opportunity to test his wonky back, which gave him constant trouble throughout last season. His 2013 campaign was basically a series of stops and starts featuring various states of rehab, solo skates and the occasional practice.
But the injury never improved to the point where he was going to join the lineup.
Dubbed as one of the NHL’s best third-line centers by head coach Mike Babcock, the 26-year-old Helm should be on the ice when Detroit’s prospects get underway this Wednesday.
Of note, 2013 first-round pick Anthony Mantha is also expected to participate.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 9
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)