Jul 8, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
The Red Wings’ annual prospects camp will have a couple of elder statesmen in the mix.
Defenseman Danny DeKesyer — who made his NHL debut with the Wings last season — and Darren Helm, limited to just one game in 2013 because of a back injury, are expected to take part in the Traverse City event, according to the Detroit News.
UPDATE: Detroit has released its camp roster and, contrary to earlier reports, DeKeyser is not going to Traverse City.
Helm is in, though — and it’s easy to see why.
He needs an opportunity to test his wonky back, which gave him constant trouble throughout last season. His 2013 campaign was basically a series of stops and starts featuring various states of rehab, solo skates and the occasional practice.
But the injury never improved to the point where he was going to join the lineup.
Dubbed as one of the NHL’s best third-line centers by head coach Mike Babcock, the 26-year-old Helm should be on the ice when Detroit’s prospects get underway this Wednesday.
Of note, 2013 first-round pick Anthony Mantha is also expected to participate.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 4
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 29
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 75
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)