Jul 8, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
The Red Wings’ annual prospects camp will have a couple of elder statesmen in the mix.
Defenseman Danny DeKesyer — who made his NHL debut with the Wings last season — and Darren Helm, limited to just one game in 2013 because of a back injury, are expected to take part in the Traverse City event, according to the Detroit News.
UPDATE: Detroit has released its camp roster and, contrary to earlier reports, DeKeyser is not going to Traverse City.
Helm is in, though — and it’s easy to see why.
He needs an opportunity to test his wonky back, which gave him constant trouble throughout last season. His 2013 campaign was basically a series of stops and starts featuring various states of rehab, solo skates and the occasional practice.
But the injury never improved to the point where he was going to join the lineup.
Dubbed as one of the NHL’s best third-line centers by head coach Mike Babcock, the 26-year-old Helm should be on the ice when Detroit’s prospects get underway this Wednesday.
Of note, 2013 first-round pick Anthony Mantha is also expected to participate.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)