Jul 8, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
Last year, it was Joe Sakic, Adam Oates, Pavel Bure, and Mats Sundin that were welcomed to the Hockey Hall of Fame, with Brendan Shanahan the notable omission.
Tomorrow in Toronto, Shanahan will get another chance when the selection committee meets to decide this year’s crop of inductees.
Induction-eligible for the first time: defensemen Chris Chelios and Scott Niedermayer, both of whom are expected to get the nod.
Less certain among the first-timers: Rob Blake, Paul Kariya, Rod Brind’Amour, Keith Tkachuk, and Sergei Zubov.
Click here for the full list of first-timers, along with other eligible players that have yet to be inducted, including Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, and Tom Barrasso.
For what it’s worth, this would be my ballot: Shanahan, Chelios, Niedermayer and Brind’Amour.
Why Brind’Amour? Scored 1,184 points, played 1,484 games, won a Stanley Cup in 2006 when he captained the Hurricanes, and — the kicker — was awarded the Selke twice.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)