Jul 8, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Last year, it was Joe Sakic, Adam Oates, Pavel Bure, and Mats Sundin that were welcomed to the Hockey Hall of Fame, with Brendan Shanahan the notable omission.
Tomorrow in Toronto, Shanahan will get another chance when the selection committee meets to decide this year’s crop of inductees.
Induction-eligible for the first time: defensemen Chris Chelios and Scott Niedermayer, both of whom are expected to get the nod.
Less certain among the first-timers: Rob Blake, Paul Kariya, Rod Brind’Amour, Keith Tkachuk, and Sergei Zubov.
Click here for the full list of first-timers, along with other eligible players that have yet to be inducted, including Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, and Tom Barrasso.
For what it’s worth, this would be my ballot: Shanahan, Chelios, Niedermayer and Brind’Amour.
Why Brind’Amour? Scored 1,184 points, played 1,484 games, won a Stanley Cup in 2006 when he captained the Hurricanes, and — the kicker — was awarded the Selke twice.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 13
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 10
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 21
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)