Jul 8, 2013, 11:32 PM EST
Whether he’s at the NHL or AHL level for most of next season, Cam Janssen will fight a lot in 2013-14. The New Jersey Devils helped to make that possible by signing him to a one-year, two-way contract on Monday, according to the Bergen Record.
Janssen’s deal is worth the league minimum ($550K) at the NHL level. He played in just four games for New Jersey this past season and surprisingly only drew one minor penalty. Don’t worry about him “going soft” or anything, though; he fought nine times in the AHL, by Hockey Fights’ count.
“I’m really excited to be back,” Janssen said. “I love that organization. I got a chance to play some hockey in Albany, which at the beginning was kind of scary. Getting sent down was a little tough mentally on you because of the fact I hadn’t been down in the minors in a long time.
“Once I got down there and got some minutes and played, it was great.”
The 29-year-old pugilist has spent parts of four seasons with the Devils. Some of his most memorable fights have come against the Devils’ local rivals.
One of those moments included this game-opening line brawl against the New York Rangers in March 2012:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
New York Islanders fans shouldn’t feel left out, as this fight with Micheal Haley can attest:
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)