Jul 8, 2013, 11:32 PM EST
Whether he’s at the NHL or AHL level for most of next season, Cam Janssen will fight a lot in 2013-14. The New Jersey Devils helped to make that possible by signing him to a one-year, two-way contract on Monday, according to the Bergen Record.
Janssen’s deal is worth the league minimum ($550K) at the NHL level. He played in just four games for New Jersey this past season and surprisingly only drew one minor penalty. Don’t worry about him “going soft” or anything, though; he fought nine times in the AHL, by Hockey Fights’ count.
“I’m really excited to be back,” Janssen said. “I love that organization. I got a chance to play some hockey in Albany, which at the beginning was kind of scary. Getting sent down was a little tough mentally on you because of the fact I hadn’t been down in the minors in a long time.
“Once I got down there and got some minutes and played, it was great.”
The 29-year-old pugilist has spent parts of four seasons with the Devils. Some of his most memorable fights have come against the Devils’ local rivals.
One of those moments included this game-opening line brawl against the New York Rangers in March 2012:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
New York Islanders fans shouldn’t feel left out, as this fight with Micheal Haley can attest:
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)