Jul 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
The Cory Schneider-to-New Jersey trade caught a lot of people off guard.
Including some within the Devils organization.
Like head coach Peter DeBoer, for example. On Monday, DeBoer said he had no idea his team was going to acquire the Vancouver netminder — even though he was at the draft.
“No I didn’t know. It was a surprise to me until Lou [Lamoriello, Devils GM] came down to our end of the table and told me,” DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “It was a real pleasant surprise, obviously. I don’t think it’s any secret that everybody has been wondering what is going to happen next at such a key position.”
While an amusing anecdote, it’s not too surprising.
Lamoriello is notoriously secretive and, at times, basically non-communicative when it comes to discussing player transactions, negotiations and contracts.
On that note, neither of the Devils’ goalies at the time — Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg — knew the Schneider deal was going down; Brodeur said he was “shocked” by the trade while Hedberg said he was caught off guard.
There’s also the not-so-small issue of New Jersey hosting the draft.
Had word leaked of the trade prior to Sunday’s selection, there’s a decent chance Devils fans — who were lined up to watch the club select ninth overall — would’ve stayed away.
Why show up if there’s no drama?
Finally, there’s the notion that while this deal was hatched prior to the draft, pulling the trigger happened quickly.
It could’ve been contingent on Bo Horvat being available at No. 9 for Vancouver to select; it could’ve also been one of those deals with a small window of opportunity.
The latter is the way DeBoer saw it, and he praised his boss for pouncing on the chance.
“When you look around the league starting goaltenders in their prime are few and far between. And they usually don’t get moved,” he explained.
“I think it was a unique opportunity and Lou jumped on it.”
Mar 12, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Still unknown whether he’ll be able to play hockey again.
Mar 12, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
During the first intermission of the Canadiens-Bruins game.
Mar 12, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Yet another boarding suspension in the NHL.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 12, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Just one blogger’s opinion.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Led R.P.I in scoring this season.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Austrian speedster hurt in Monday’s comeback win over Vancouver.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Montreal’s beaten Boston five straight times.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
The full interview airs on Costas Tonight this Thursday, Mar. 13 at 12:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
i.e., do Pierre Karl Peladeau’s political aspirations hurt the chances of the Nordiques being reborn in Quebec City?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
“I am not going to comment on specific things about John. It is unfair to him.”
Mar 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
How has Colorado done it?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Now the man in charge of Southampton F.C.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
The feat comes during one of the toughest stretches of his career, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
He was injured against Florida on Sunday.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Habs have five straight wins against Boston.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 5
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 7
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 15
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)