Jul 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
The Cory Schneider-to-New Jersey trade caught a lot of people off guard.
Including some within the Devils organization.
Like head coach Peter DeBoer, for example. On Monday, DeBoer said he had no idea his team was going to acquire the Vancouver netminder — even though he was at the draft.
“No I didn’t know. It was a surprise to me until Lou [Lamoriello, Devils GM] came down to our end of the table and told me,” DeBoer told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “It was a real pleasant surprise, obviously. I don’t think it’s any secret that everybody has been wondering what is going to happen next at such a key position.”
While an amusing anecdote, it’s not too surprising.
Lamoriello is notoriously secretive and, at times, basically non-communicative when it comes to discussing player transactions, negotiations and contracts.
On that note, neither of the Devils’ goalies at the time — Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg — knew the Schneider deal was going down; Brodeur said he was “shocked” by the trade while Hedberg said he was caught off guard.
There’s also the not-so-small issue of New Jersey hosting the draft.
Had word leaked of the trade prior to Sunday’s selection, there’s a decent chance Devils fans — who were lined up to watch the club select ninth overall — would’ve stayed away.
Why show up if there’s no drama?
Finally, there’s the notion that while this deal was hatched prior to the draft, pulling the trigger happened quickly.
It could’ve been contingent on Bo Horvat being available at No. 9 for Vancouver to select; it could’ve also been one of those deals with a small window of opportunity.
The latter is the way DeBoer saw it, and he praised his boss for pouncing on the chance.
“When you look around the league starting goaltenders in their prime are few and far between. And they usually don’t get moved,” he explained.
“I think it was a unique opportunity and Lou jumped on it.”
Dec 13, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
Just like it didn’t happen overnight in Vancouver.
Dec 13, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
He’ll suit up tonight against Vancouver.
Dec 13, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
News and notes from the blue paint…
Dec 13, 2013, 2:37 PM EST
Your choice of bacon, ham or sausage.
Dec 13, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
The Leafs are being forced to play the Blackhawks, the Red Wings can’t win a shootout, Boston’s in Vancouver for the first time since winning the Cup, Lundqvist needs to be better, and we know now that Martin Jones is a goalie for the Kings.
Dec 13, 2013, 2:13 PM EST
Chris Kunitz looks fired up.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:49 PM EST
So, the veteran defenseman could sit again.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Physical forward won his first and only Stanley Cup with Chicago last season.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:40 PM EST
You’re up, Jonas Gustavsson.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:27 PM EST
Won six of its last nine.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
“It’s tough when you have to worry about pucks going in the back of your net.”
Dec 13, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s 7-2 ‘Hawks win.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Now that Jay Feaster’s gone.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
Pens host the Devils tonight.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:48 AM EST
Incident occurred during Thursday’s Flyers-Habs game in Philly.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:03 AM EST
‘Tis the season to not be joyful about losing.
Dec 13, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
The Badgers are 5-0-1 at home this season.
Dec 13, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
That and all the links to start your day ahead.
Dec 13, 2013, 2:02 AM EST
All three San Jose goals came on the power play.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
But they snapped that 10-game losing streak the other day.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)