Jul 8, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
The deal, first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, is of the two-way, one-year variety. No word yet on monetary compensation.
Strachan, 28, was Carolina’s fifth-round pick in 2003 and has spent time with both the St. Louis and Florida organizations, appearing in 120 career NHL contests.
His best season was the 2013 lockout-shortened campaign, when he emerged as a regular with the Panthers.
Strachan posted career highs in games (38), points (four) and time on ice per game (18:58), leading the team in hits (110) while finishing third in blocked shots, with 62.
With Washington, Strachan will likely battle for one of the final spots on the blueline.
The Caps currently have six defensemen under contract for next season (Mike Green, John Carlson, John Erskine, Jack Hillen, Tomas Kundratek, Steven Oleksy) and still have to reach a new deal with RFA Karl Alzner.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)