Jul 8, 2013, 8:29 AM EST
Pierre-Marc Bouchard spent 11 years with the Minnesota Wild and as a free agent this summer found a new home with the New York Islanders. Spending that long with one team makes saying goodbye hard, but he does so with a heart filled with warm memories.
Michael Russo of the Star Tribune hears from the guy called “Butch” and how he’s thankful for his time with the Wild.
“It was a great run,” said Bouchard. “Eleven years with one team, it was a great run. Just getting drafted by that team in the first round and making the playoffs my first year there. It was a fun run to get to the conference final [in 2003]. We won the division [in 2008]. Every time we made the playoffs, it was always a fun time to play in Minnesota in front of our fans…
“Minnesota will always be a special place for me.”
Having good times like that to hang his hat on make moving on difficult. Now he’s off to an Islanders team that’s young and poised to make more noise in the East.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 4
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 14
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)