Jul 8, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
When an executive goes from one NHL team to another, players often come with him.
That might eventually become the case for former St. Louis Blues executive and current Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen, but he’s starting with the front office first.
Kekalainen named Ville Siren the Blue Jackets’ head amateur scout and Josef Boumedienne as a European scout on Monday. Siren spent nine years with the Blues. In reaction to Siren’s departure, the Blues promoted Jan Vopat to Siren’s vacated position: Head of European Amateur Scouting.
One cannot help but wonder if the Blue Jackets will eventually start poaching players from St. Louis, although Columbus is actually surprising close to the cap ceiling with only about $2.7 million in breathing room, according to Cap Geek.
So, something more exciting like nabbing a former Blues player via free agency or making a landmark trade will need to wait.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)