Jul 8, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
When an executive goes from one NHL team to another, players often come with him.
That might eventually become the case for former St. Louis Blues executive and current Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen, but he’s starting with the front office first.
Kekalainen named Ville Siren the Blue Jackets’ head amateur scout and Josef Boumedienne as a European scout on Monday. Siren spent nine years with the Blues. In reaction to Siren’s departure, the Blues promoted Jan Vopat to Siren’s vacated position: Head of European Amateur Scouting.
One cannot help but wonder if the Blue Jackets will eventually start poaching players from St. Louis, although Columbus is actually surprising close to the cap ceiling with only about $2.7 million in breathing room, according to Cap Geek.
So, something more exciting like nabbing a former Blues player via free agency or making a landmark trade will need to wait.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)