Jul 8, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It’s been a few days since Mikhail Grabovski went on a profanity-laced tirade against Randy Carlyle after being bought out of his contract with Toronto.
Now, his agent is trying to put everything into context.
“The team mismanaged him,” Gary Greenstin told the Toronto Star. “He was able to do a lot for the team.”
Grabovski, 29, was bought out of the final four years of his five-year, $27.5 million deal on Thursday, a surprising turn of events considering he signed the contract just 16 months ago.
In terms of mismanagement, the club did take away Grabbo’s alternate captaincy prior to the start of this season. There were also questions about how he was being utilized — in a more defensive, checking-forward-type role — which led to a rant for the ages…
“I play in the [expletive] Russian KHL, I make lots of [expletive] points and what’s going to happen? He makes me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again.
“Yeah, I don’t score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you’ll find success]. I don’t feel any support from this [expletive] idiot.”
…which was then followed by Greenstin explaining his client’s mindset at the time.
“He was under pressure,” the Galex Enterprises representative explained.
See, Grabovski’s wedding was the day following the buyout news — yeah, the Leafs dropped hiim 24 hours before he was going to get hitched — which prompted Greenstin to say the entire incident was unfortunate.
As for what the future holds?
Greenstin says several teams have already expressed interest in Grabovski, who scored 52 goals and 110 points for Toronto between 2010-12.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)