Jul 8, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
It’s been a few days since Mikhail Grabovski went on a profanity-laced tirade against Randy Carlyle after being bought out of his contract with Toronto.
Now, his agent is trying to put everything into context.
“The team mismanaged him,” Gary Greenstin told the Toronto Star. “He was able to do a lot for the team.”
Grabovski, 29, was bought out of the final four years of his five-year, $27.5 million deal on Thursday, a surprising turn of events considering he signed the contract just 16 months ago.
In terms of mismanagement, the club did take away Grabbo’s alternate captaincy prior to the start of this season. There were also questions about how he was being utilized — in a more defensive, checking-forward-type role — which led to a rant for the ages…
“I play in the [expletive] Russian KHL, I make lots of [expletive] points and what’s going to happen? He makes me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again.
“Yeah, I don’t score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you’ll find success]. I don’t feel any support from this [expletive] idiot.”
…which was then followed by Greenstin explaining his client’s mindset at the time.
“He was under pressure,” the Galex Enterprises representative explained.
See, Grabovski’s wedding was the day following the buyout news — yeah, the Leafs dropped hiim 24 hours before he was going to get hitched — which prompted Greenstin to say the entire incident was unfortunate.
As for what the future holds?
Greenstin says several teams have already expressed interest in Grabovski, who scored 52 goals and 110 points for Toronto between 2010-12.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)