Jul 7, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf and actress Elisha Cuthbert tied the knot in a private wedding in Summerfield, P.E.I., Canada on Saturday, according to the Canadian Press.
As per the Canadian Press, the two have been a couple since 2008, back when Phaneuf was a defenseman for the Calgary Flames.
Phaneuf, 28, scored nine goals and had 28 points in 48 games last season for the Leafs. He also helped lead Toronto to its first Stanley Cup playoff appearance since 2004, prior to the lockout that cancelled the 2004-05 season.
Phaneuf added a goal and three points in a seven-game first-round series loss to the Boston Bruins.
Phaneuf broke into the league in 2005, with the Flames.
According to the Internet Movie Database, Cuthbert has 29 titles as an actress throughout her career, including roles in such films as Old School and The Girl Next Door, as well as the TV series 24.
The Canadian wedding industry is a $4 billion a year industry, according to The Wedding Planners Institute of Canada.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5