Jul 7, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf and actress Elisha Cuthbert tied the knot in a private wedding in Summerfield, P.E.I., Canada on Saturday, according to the Canadian Press.
As per the Canadian Press, the two have been a couple since 2008, back when Phaneuf was a defenseman for the Calgary Flames.
Phaneuf, 28, scored nine goals and had 28 points in 48 games last season for the Leafs. He also helped lead Toronto to its first Stanley Cup playoff appearance since 2004, prior to the lockout that cancelled the 2004-05 season.
Phaneuf added a goal and three points in a seven-game first-round series loss to the Boston Bruins.
Phaneuf broke into the league in 2005, with the Flames.
According to the Internet Movie Database, Cuthbert has 29 titles as an actress throughout her career, including roles in such films as Old School and The Girl Next Door, as well as the TV series 24.
The Canadian wedding industry is a $4 billion a year industry, according to The Wedding Planners Institute of Canada.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 21
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 33
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 27
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6