Jul 7, 2013, 9:25 AM EST
The one catch for Columbus signing Nathan Horton is that he’ll need shoulder surgery this summer so it’ll be a while before he officially suits up for the Blue Jackets.
When he does, however, don’t expect him to be on the same line with Marian Gaborik as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch shares. Richards wants other teams to make a decision on who they send their best defensemen after.
“It makes them make a decision: ‘Who are we going to go after?’ ” Richards said. “If they have one shut-down (defensive) pair, that’s going to leave something a little more open for us, maybe.”
So how will he set up the lines? Young forward Cam Atkinson may have to slide to left wing to play alongside Horton. Brandon Dubinsky and either R.J. Umberger or Atkinson could wind up skating with Horton. Meanwhile, Gaborik will likely stay with Artem Anisimov while Umberger or Atkinson lands on their left side.
Sounds pretty good either way for the Eastern Conference-bound Jackets.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)