Jul 7, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
Steve Yzerman knows what people are going to say – or have already been saying – about Valtteri Filppula.
Lecavalier, as a free agent, then went out and signed with the Philadelphia Flyers.
So yes, connect the dots and it’s easy to see why people feel Filppula is there to replace Lecavalier. Yzerman, at least publicly, doesn’t feel the same way.
“We’ve changed our team; we’ve acquired a good player who’s going to be a real positive contributor to our team, who’s a real good guy,” Yzerman told NHL.com.
“We understand everybody’s going to say, ‘Oh, he’s here to replace Vinny.’ He’s here to make us a better team and he will make us a better team.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)