Jul 7, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
It may be the case as Elliotte Friedman of CBC discussed in his story examining what happened between the two sides.
Apparently Alfredsson had always taken less than he was worth through his time in Ottawa and that was something Senators GM Bryan Murray was counting on when he made his offer to the now former captain.
As Friedman put it (rather perfectly) that didn’t sit well with him.
“And sometimes, you feel the team takes advantage of you. When Alfredsson heard his ask was unfair after almost a decade of team-friendly cap hits, he probably powerbombed a Volvo.”
Alfredsson wound up getting a one-year deal with the Red Wings for $5.5 million and Murray was left to talk about Sens owner Eugene Melnyk’s “blank check” offer. As Friedman noted, that likely came after Alfredsson hadn’t spoken with the team for a while.
If the Senators could turn back time, they’d probably like a do-over on how this was handled.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)