Jul 7, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
It may be the case as Elliotte Friedman of CBC discussed in his story examining what happened between the two sides.
Apparently Alfredsson had always taken less than he was worth through his time in Ottawa and that was something Senators GM Bryan Murray was counting on when he made his offer to the now former captain.
As Friedman put it (rather perfectly) that didn’t sit well with him.
“And sometimes, you feel the team takes advantage of you. When Alfredsson heard his ask was unfair after almost a decade of team-friendly cap hits, he probably powerbombed a Volvo.”
Alfredsson wound up getting a one-year deal with the Red Wings for $5.5 million and Murray was left to talk about Sens owner Eugene Melnyk’s “blank check” offer. As Friedman noted, that likely came after Alfredsson hadn’t spoken with the team for a while.
If the Senators could turn back time, they’d probably like a do-over on how this was handled.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)