Jul 7, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
It may be the case as Elliotte Friedman of CBC discussed in his story examining what happened between the two sides.
Apparently Alfredsson had always taken less than he was worth through his time in Ottawa and that was something Senators GM Bryan Murray was counting on when he made his offer to the now former captain.
As Friedman put it (rather perfectly) that didn’t sit well with him.
“And sometimes, you feel the team takes advantage of you. When Alfredsson heard his ask was unfair after almost a decade of team-friendly cap hits, he probably powerbombed a Volvo.”
Alfredsson wound up getting a one-year deal with the Red Wings for $5.5 million and Murray was left to talk about Sens owner Eugene Melnyk’s “blank check” offer. As Friedman noted, that likely came after Alfredsson hadn’t spoken with the team for a while.
If the Senators could turn back time, they’d probably like a do-over on how this was handled.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 85
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 96
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (96)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)