Jul 7, 2013, 7:51 PM EST
It wasn’t long ago that the Chicago Blackhawks were celebrating a Stanley Cup victory. It was less than a month ago.
But six days after the Blackhawks hoisted the silver chalice in improbable – also highly exciting – fashion, the NHL Draft was held. It’s the biggest of many continuous steps forward to the future for all NHL franchises.
Prospects camp, which NHL teams are hosting this week, is another step.
Those taken in the draft, as well as other undrafted prospects, either fresh from junior or in the young years of their professional careers, hit the ice and go through other activities, growing more accustomed to team systems, coaches, teammates and cities.
A total of 51 players have been invited take part in Chicago’s camp, which begins Monday, as per Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune.
“You bring our young players in and sort of show them a glimpse of what the Blackhawks are all about,” Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman told the Chicago Tribune.
“Some of these guys have never been to a camp before. You can’t cover too much ground in terms of instruction in a one-week camp, but we want to try to get them acclimated to how we do things in terms of preparation and training and nutrition and then skill development and positional work.”
As per Tim Sassone of the Daily Herald, Blackhawks 2013 first-round pick Ryan Hartman will not be on the ice at prospects camp this week, as he recovers from shoulder surgery.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)