Jul 7, 2013, 7:51 PM EDT
It wasn’t long ago that the Chicago Blackhawks were celebrating a Stanley Cup victory. It was less than a month ago.
But six days after the Blackhawks hoisted the silver chalice in improbable – also highly exciting – fashion, the NHL Draft was held. It’s the biggest of many continuous steps forward to the future for all NHL franchises.
Prospects camp, which NHL teams are hosting this week, is another step.
Those taken in the draft, as well as other undrafted prospects, either fresh from junior or in the young years of their professional careers, hit the ice and go through other activities, growing more accustomed to team systems, coaches, teammates and cities.
A total of 51 players have been invited take part in Chicago’s camp, which begins Monday, as per Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune.
“You bring our young players in and sort of show them a glimpse of what the Blackhawks are all about,” Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman told the Chicago Tribune.
“Some of these guys have never been to a camp before. You can’t cover too much ground in terms of instruction in a one-week camp, but we want to try to get them acclimated to how we do things in terms of preparation and training and nutrition and then skill development and positional work.”
As per Tim Sassone of the Daily Herald, Blackhawks 2013 first-round pick Ryan Hartman will not be on the ice at prospects camp this week, as he recovers from shoulder surgery.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 0
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 2
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 42
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)